Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current status of animals to Hawaii
I am interested in having my elderly mother visit this spring and she has a small dog that would have to come as well.

Some questions:

1. Can a small dog travel in the passenger cabin (1st class) and if so
what might the charges be?

2. I understand that a six month quarantine is not needed any more. Can anyone direct me to be st source of info on processing an animal into Hawaii?

Thanks
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Here you go: http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

My understanding is that all Hawaii-bound dogs need to be stored down below (to keep owners from sneaking pets in on theor own) but I may be wrong at that point.
You do have to start the process for the rabies vaccinations at least four months ahead. It is a long process, but not impossible. The dog will still have to be "cleared"....either in Honolulu or Kona. This takes a couple of hours. Also, this whole process is not cheap.

Even if the dog is not able to ride in the first class cabin, it will do just fine down below. It is the owners who worry about this and get so upset. The dogs don't know the difference!!

Good luck!!
I brought 2 dogs with me 3 years ago. They made it thru quarantine before I even got to the pickup point. Just follow all the instructions given, carry a copy of ALL PAPERWORK with you & it should go off without a hitch!

mary blonde
Live Aloha

My understanding is that all Hawaii-bound dogs need to be stored down below (to keep owners from sneaking pets in on theor own) but I may be wrong at that point. I believe that there are exceptions to this rule. Dogs that have a specific designation as Companion animals like seeing eye dogs or Therapy dogs can go in the cabin on Continental I believe. Carrie's little dog came over this way. Old info sorry, but ask the airlines about this.

At the AG site, pets are now allowed to travel into the state for vacation, however they still must be micro chipped have two current rabies vaccinations with time frames attached and with paper work, they still must do their 120 day quarantine before arrival and 7 - 10 days before flight depending on which airline, they need a current health checkup, and vet certificate.

mella l

mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Rob,

There is a little more out-front paperwork to bring a dog into Kona rather than through Honolulu, but it is well worth it. The scene in Honolulu is nuts! We've done 2 through Honolulu and 3 into Kona.

Dan

Dan
Thank you all for the information.

Mahalo
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Rob, it takes a minimum of 6 months to do all of the paperwork/vet work for direct release, if they do not have this done, then they have to go through quarantine. No dogs cannot ride in the cabin on any airline to Hawaii. Direct release from Kona will cost an extra $200, but it is worth it if she has a direct flight. More extra paperwork involved too. She would probably be better served leaving her dog with a friend.

It cost us almost $2,000 per pet to get them here, but depending on mainland vet fees and airline fees plus the costs of kennels etc. it can vary.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
If your mother's dog could be registered as a therapy dog he could go on the plane with her, I think (not in cargo, no quaranteen). Maybe ask the airline company about this.
To my knowledge,United will not go for anything less that mental hospital recommendation.
In other words,it's almost impossible..