Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousteau's Punalu'u Resort?
Being a huge Cousteau fan while growing up I have mixed feelings about Jean-Michel Cousteau getting involved in a new development for Punalu'u. First of all, if it's going to be done at all, I'd prefer an environmentalist who is fighting for protection of the oceans to be involved. However, it seems to be quite contradictory to want to build 1500 resort homes and 300 hotel rooms there, a breeding area for green sea turtles. Maybe the best thing for Punalu'u is to just leave it alone, it's beautiful! Why is it that every single sandy beach area in Hawaii has to be developed into a mega resort?

-----------------------------

Cousteau signs on to Big Island development
The ocean explorer's group will assist in a new Punaluu resort.

http://starbulletin.com/2006/09/15/news/story03.html

By Nina Wu
nwu@starbulletin.com

Famed ocean explorer and environmentalist Jean-Michel Cousteau is lending his name and expertise to a 434-acre Punaluu resort proposed for the Big Island.

Sea Mountain Five LLC announced yesterday it has formed a partnership with Cousteau's nonprofit group, Ocean Futures Society, in developing a resort that is to include an eco-hotel, renovated golf course and up to 1,500 resort homes and condominiums.

The resort -- which has no name yet -- will be designed in the style of a historical plantation town and offer a marine conservation center, along with retail and commercial areas.

Cousteau, the son of the late Jacques Cousteau, is diving into his first Hawaii development venture. He will eventually become a long-term partner of the development group, according to Pat Blew, managing partner of Sea Mountain Five.

But it remains undetermined whether his name will be on the resort, as it is with the Jean-Michel Cousteau Fiji Islands Resort.

"Part of his job is to act as a consultant to make sure this project is developed in an eco-friendly way," Blew said. "We will make every effort to make this as eco-friendly as we can." The partnership with Cousteau was sealed this summer, he said.

Blew said a contract is in place to buy the resort, pending the approval of a Special Management Area permit. He declined to disclose the purchase price.

Sea Mountain Five also filed an environmental impact statement with Hawaii County for review, but Blew estimated construction would be at least three years away.

Having recently completed a two-hour documentary on the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, Cousteau said the islands always have held a special place in his heart.

The deal, he said, came about through mutual friends who had a passion for diving.

"We believe it's such a perfect destination for people to understand the connection between the ocean and the land," Cousteau said. "Our new relationship with Sea Mountain provides the ideal opportunity to prove that environmental and economic sustainability are absolutely connected. Sea Mountain will demonstrate the economic benefits of implementing environmental designs and programs."

chart Cousteau's Ocean Futures Society runs an educational program called Ambassadors of the Environment, which connects youth to nature through hikes, diving excursions, slide shows and discussions.

Ocean Futures hopes to offer a similar educational program at the Punaluu resort next summer.

Another one of the group's missions, he said, is to help developers with environmental ethics and guidelines, which is his role for Sea Mountain.

"It would give us a chance to keep an eye on the property at every level," he said.

Sea Mountain is an unfinished resort project started by C. Brewer in the early 1970s -- it had plenty of starts and stops.

Past developers ran into opposition from the community, which had concerns about the conservation of the Punaluu coastline.

Besides Blew, Sea Mountain Five is made up of Bob Barth, Ken Carey, Roger Mercier, all California residents, and John Finney, a Hawaii resident.

Blew, who said he has more than 25 years of development experience on the mainland, lives part time on Kauai and part time in Maryland.

Blew said the new development team will need to upgrade water and sewer facilities, as well as do major work on the resort's golf course.

There will be efforts to incorporate "green building" design elements, where feasible, he said. The developers expect to create more than 500 permanent jobs and donate proceeds to the community.

With Cousteau and architects Group 70 International on board, Blew feels confident the project will be well received by the community and growing niche of eco-tourists.

"The reason it hasn't been successful in the past is its location, as beautiful as it is," he said. "It's only recently that traffic in Kona has gotten so bad that people are now looking for places to go that aren't crowded or that gives them an idea of what Hawaii used to be."

Cousteau spent his life following in his father's footsteps exploring the world's ocean depths, and has long been an advocate for the environment. But more recently, he has been forming more partnerships with large eco-resorts like the one in Fiji.

One day, he said, more resorts will realize that sustainable practices can be economically viable.

"When you have people come out to the ocean, you want to give them the best cultural experience from an environmental point of view," said Cousteau. "When it comes to the Hawaiian culture, you have everything to gain by understanding that culture."

Sea Mountain at Punaluu
Developer: Sea Mountain Five LLC

Partner: Jean-Michel Cousteau, Ocean Futures Society

Architect: Group 70 International

What: A 434-acre resort in Punaluu that is to include an eco-hotel, up to 300 hotel rooms, 1,200 to 1,500 single-family and multifamily units, golf course, marine conservation center and Hawaiian cultural center.

-----------------------------

TV Alert: Cousteau's documentary 'America's Underwater Treasures' is on September 20th and 27th on PBS.

http://www.oceanfutures.org/
Steve & Regina
Hawaiian Acres / North Lake Tahoe

'If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there' - George Harrison
Well, just remember, there used to be a part of resort there (I actually had lunch in its restaurant in 1990) and the lots around the golf course are privately owned, many already developed. While I am against development in Kona, I personally think it will greatly help the economic situation of the South area and I assume Cousteau being involved would indicate the development will be more eco-friendly than any of the existing resorts on the island.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB,RB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 09/15/2006 14:43:24

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 09/15/2006 16:44:51
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

I have mixed feelings about the proposed Punalu'u development. On one hand Ka'u needs jobs. It is simply not right that people living in Ka'u have to commute hours at end to jobs in Kona and Hilo. But on the other hand, when you let the genie out of the bottle,it will be very hard to put it back in. Ka'u is the last untouched area in state.It is very picturesque and special place. I hope for one, that the developers can balance being eco-friendly and providing needed jobs for the people of Ka'u. Maybe with Jean-Michel Cousteau it will be possible.

Would this development be in a lava zone of 1 or 2?
Glen, this is in lava zone 3, abutted by lava zone 6 (the Southpoint area has some very interesting geology that accounts for these lava zones.
This developement is to finish a project that was started decades ago. The infastructure that was put in place has, over time (& lack of maintenaince due to lack of maintenance fees due to lack of finishing the projected plan - pheeww!) started to go into disrepair. The wonderful access to the south area of the black sand beach & the facilities there are, I have been told, there because the developement infrastructure allowed the improvements. (I am not positive on this, but I know that if it is incorrect, in will be corrected - and the road is very unusual for the area, wide, lighted, & curved to service the resort). The fact that the ground has already been laid & may decay, so to speak, is why there is not as much outcry against the finishing of the developement.
Aloha, Carey

Edited by - Carey on 09/15/2006 20:38:54
quote:
Why is it that every single sandy beach area in Hawaii has to be developed into a mega resort?

The answer is the same one that Willie Sutton gave to the question of why he robbed banks: "That's where the money is."

Howard
Zones three and six sound pretty good, to me. I have the impression this is S/W of the Volcano. Is there anything there now? Condos? Residences?
Currently there is a golf course,a small condo,
some assorted houses. There used to be a restaurant, but it closed.

This web has pictures of the current Sea Mountain
http://www.villaresorts.com/smount.htm
Aloha, Carey

I was there recently and stopped by the office to inquire about rates, Most of the units I believe are privately owned but they did have a few units they managed and quoted me a rate of $75 per night + tax.
It's a very private and quiet place and has the old Hawaii feel. I would definately like to spend the weekend there and just next door is the famous black sand beach.
Lee