Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing to say Hello
Aloha,

I am new here and just wanted to say hello. My wife and I live in Arizona and she holds a Hawaii Teacher License and is approved by the Hawaii Dept of Ed. We are hoping to relocate to the Puna area next May.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season!

Best!
BobH
Best!
BobH
Bob,

Welcome to Punaweb!
It's a great time to move, house and property prices are down. And the weather's always great.
Be forewarned, this is a very tough time for teachers in Hawaii. Every DOE teacher I know who didn't have tenure did not get rehired for this year, and many part time staff got RIFFed. I know the DOE is continuing to recruit on the mainland, but even science, math and Special Ed. teachers are having a tough time staying employed here if they don't have tenure. Pahoa let go a science teacher, Hilo and Waiakea both let go many teachers, including world languages, science, and advanced placement teachers. These were not dead wood, but excellent teachers who had built amazing programs that were completely eliminated. All of the Educational Assistant positions at my school that were hired this year were filled with experienced licensed teachers from the mainland, instead of the paraprofessionals we usually hire.

Even sub work has gotten hard to come by, partly due to how many former teachers are now on the sub lists, and partly due to teachers using furlough days for appointments instead of sub days. When HCC did the last sub training, they had people wrapped around the block to get one of 27 seats in the class. Try to come prepared with a back up plan if you cannot get a teaching position, and you need to know that many new hires don't get assigned to a school until the second or third week of school. Special Ed. positions often get filled even later due to the way those positions are funded.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Carol, Thank you very much for your insight. I really appreciate you!

Best!
BobH
Best!
BobH
Don't totally sell off everything you have before coming to Hawaii. Many people don't stay but a couple of years and decide that the distance to the mainland is too far, or medical care is inadequate for their needs, or the "aloha" spirit isn't what is seemed as a tourist, or ....

Best wishes.
Hi HiloHaole,

Seems like everyone here has really good insight and info and willing to share it openly. That is really cool!

I have been a member over at Konaweb.com for almost two years and didn't know about this group until today.

You wrote, "the "aloha" spirit isn't what is seemed as a tourist, or ...."

Josie and I have been coming to Hawaii for several years and already know what you are talking about in regard to "Aloha Spirt" Josie's family is in Asia and so Hawaii is a natural for us. And....we plan to come with 4 suitcases and a bucket of cash (smile). We live a very meager life now in a very remote area in NE Arizona on the Navajo Nation Indian Reservation.

Thanks for your help.

Best!
BobH
Best!
BobH
quote:
Originally posted by BobH
I have been a member over at Konaweb.com for almost two years and didn't know about this group until today.
Don't be surprised, punaweb.org and konaforum.com can not be recommended there! The software is set in a way that these words can not be posted on those forums. There are some other words like "Rabi" banned too! [}Smile][}Smile][}Smile]

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Aloha Bob! Welcome to Punaweb from a former Arizonan! Tony and I lived in Tempe (he was born in Morenci) and moved here over 3 years ago. If you have a dream - enjoy the journey. It's all an adventure, right?

[Smile]

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I wish you good luck.
I don't know if you are aware of the local employers practice :

http://punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9681
Aloha and welcome Bob. We're currently just north of you in Utah and planning our own escape.

-Blake
http://www.theboysgreatescape.blogspot.com/