Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walmart flour
Just before Christmas I bought 2 packages of all-purpose Walmart brand flour in Hilo.Expiration day is in May.
When I unfolded the top there were some tiny bugs,brown color,
about 1/2 mm in size,alive,but moving very slowly.I pour the rest of the flour in a clear container -nothing visible,but if you powder those bugs,they most likely be invisible.

Are those harmless bugs that can be ignored since high temp baking will "cure " the problem?

(I was thinking what flour is being used in those bread loafs in the store?)
Sounds like flour beetles:
http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef135.asp

I think that I would call WalMart & see if I could return the flour. Most pantry pests will travel into your pantry, so I always seal up ANY pantry product (flour, grains, cereal & such) Sealing it up limits the spread of the pantry visitors. Make sure that everything (product & container) is absolutely dry - have had flour & oatmeal go bad from humidity... (store oatmeal in the frig now, seems to work). This is a habit I got into in the farmlands of the Midwest & seems to work here.

Ziplock type bags are a minimum protection, we have tight sealing canisters for the pantry products.
yeah, just take it back. Walmart doesn't ask questions if you have the receipt. If you don't, they MIGHT give a store credit. I've gotten into the habit of saving all my receipts for a month or two as all too many things turn out to have problems. I keep my flour in the refrigerator too.
I donno about flour but when I buy oatmeal I put it in the freezer to kill off bugs. i don't mind eating it if i don't see the bugs which i heard is pretty common. At that's what Countryside magazine said.

http://www.countrysidemag.com/
Carey,
I have been looking at options for bug tight storage containers for flours. What are you using and where did you get it?
Mahalo.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I use a round plastic canister set from Cost U Less, frosted plastic with a clearer stripe that has a blue rubbery seal around the top (doesn't have the mfg. name on the canisters!). The 162oz fits a 5# bag of flour.

If you purchase larger flour bags (or cat food like we do - possibly even dog food, as it holds a 15# cat food bag - I keep the food in the bag for easy cleanup) Longs has an airtight 21qt by Iris that is purrfect!

BTW: we found in the Midwest that pet food was the more likely culprit in pantry pests, but flour, cereals, cake mixes, even rice can have them (we used to have pantry moths that drove me almost batty - until I realized I had to containerize everything).

ETA- for quick use & cheap (free), the clear plastic containers that the larger mixed salad greens come in make good containers for 5# sugar & flour, but you must tape up the edges to reduce humidity & pest infiltration.
We use 5 gallon buckets with Gamma Seals. They spin on and off, totally seal out all humidity and critters. Shipped dry goods over here from mainland in them, then stored stuff outside in Glenwood, not a problem with humidity or bugs. True Value sells the seals here for about $10. Buckets extra. Have to use a mallet to seat the seals tight on the bucket. 1 5 gal bucket will hold 40 lbs of rice.

dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
dick wilson
"Nothing is idiot proof,because idiots are so ingenious!"
Thank you,everyone.
Carey,they are so tiny,that's hard to say.
BTW,I made a mistake -the expiration date is in May .Returning is not a problem.But most likely the rest of the flour they had is bugged too.
Previously I bought there more expensive brand - no problem.
But it could be just a coincidence.
I agree with Carey, it does sound like flour beetles, if you do not keep these out of your pantry you will have an epidemic.

I buy bread flour in 50# bags, so it is impossible for me to store it in the freezer. I bought some large plastic buckets from Ace and then bought the specially fitted lids that screw off for ease of entry. They are VERY airtight and while they are not made for holding food, I am not worried about the plastic since it is clean and never used for any other purpose. Also if you stick some bay leaves in your flour that helps keep them away. They also love chiles, so if you have chile powder, crushed red pepper or dried chiles I suggest cryovacing them. Dried things do not do well in the freezer. The powder can be stored in tightly sealed jars in the refrigerator. If you see little moths flying around, it is too late, you will need to clean out your entire pantry and toss every kind of flour, cornmeal, cereal etc.

Aloha au i Hawai`i,
devany

www.myhawaiianhome.blogspot.com
www.eastbaypotters.blogspot.com
Thank you,Devany.
Now the question is - is it possible that the larvae or whatever it is(looks like - ) didn't get inside the package?
The rest of one of the packages is in a clear plastic container,so far nothing I can see.

The reason I am asking - I baked 1 loaf of bread (all the stores were closed).Hopefully,I'll live.