Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pin finder
[Smile]

Wonder if anyone knows a good pin finder/surveyor. We are having our land selectivly cleared and need someone to find the back pins.
Thanks in advance!
linda
Hawaii Independent Surveyors - Dan Berg or Neils Christianson.

aloha Kapohocat.....I spoke with this company they only do surveys ...they told me pin finding is illegal? We found our front pins and have pictures of our back pins but we were not able to get back there with all the trees etc.
I thought pin finding was legal if your property had already been surveyed
Linda
Did they say ILLEGAL or not legal - the difference is great in this case.. you can give your money to anyone, but to have a LEGAL property boundary, a surveyor is the way to go. There are many reasons why the pins may not still be in the same place they were when placed, and you are counting on the pins being in the right place, in the first place.

There have been many threads on this, do a search up in the search function of this forum

The best reason to use a survey, instead of a pin finder is illustrated on the JDirgos post, the second post on the second page:
http://www.punaweb.org/Forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1494
I have used Hawaii Independent Surveyors for both survey and staking many times and I can highly recommend them. There is a big difference between a survey and a staking, but they do both.
As to the "pinfinder" it's not an occupation or a trade, and I wouldn't use a pinfinder except in extremely rare situations.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

mana land consultants

My reason for recommendation is due to the descrepencies that came accross my desk from "other" surveryors which I will not name just in case their standards have elevated since, Mana Land Consultants were the ones who our office contacted to resurvey for accuracy.

Although I am no longer with the company, I am pretty sure they still have Aric as their contact.

Good luck
mana land consultants

My reason for recommendation is due to the descrepencies that came accross my desk from "other" surveryors which I will not name just in case their standards have elevated since, Mana Land Consultants were the ones who our office contacted to resurvey for accuracy.

Although I am no longer with the company, I am pretty sure they still have Aric as their contact.

Good luck
You can check island boundary (islandboundary.com). They are pinfinders and if my memory is right, their price was about half of the licensed surveyors, to find all my pins. They will also create a map of your land, can identify any existing structures or roads, trees, etc. We had all of this done for way less than a basic survey.

Some on this website will insist that pinfinder is a big mistake, but if you basically know where your land is, you'll surely know if he is identifying your neighbor's lot and not yours.

It's certainly at least worth getting an estimate to compare.
Reasons to get a survey:
1. If you are not sure where your lot lines are & are installing something permanent, that you do not want to have to move (ETA: remember, anything you build on someone elese;s land is theirs, unless you can come to a legal decision)
2. If you are not sure how the original lot lines were placed, and their accuracy (see the link I supplied above)
3. If you have a lot, or a neighboring lot, that was ripped near the pins, even if you are sure on the original lot lines
4. If you do not trust the person you bought the property from, with the amount of money you will spend on the construction (there have been some not so honest sellers - and you are betting that yours was honest... if you build on someone else's land, they own what you built)
5. If you are using a lender that requires a survey (you may end up paying for a pinfinder & a survey.... but you should also check on your lenders requirements as to the acceptable age of a survey, some require current as to the time of the application).

ETA: read the legal description of your lot. If you are absolutely positive you know exactly what is described, and where everything is, in relation to everything you know, and the pins align with the legal description - then you can make a fairly informed decision on wether to use a surveyor.
quote:
Originally posted by EnticingArt

mana land consultants

Good luck

Thanks! Good to be aware of.