Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
24 hour Emergency Vet
Does anyone know of a 24 hour vet in the Hilo area? Our dogs are new to the island and have not yet established a relationship with a vet.They got in to a lot of chicken bones tonight.. Acting fine now but worried about what could happen over night.
I called several vets hoping to find a message with a number for a 24 hour vet but no luck. Two bad pups and two worried humans thank you in advance.
one problem here is that services tend to shut down on holidays. Like I have a doctor who is totally unavailable from Christmas until after New Year's. I always pray nothing happens on holidays. So that might be why you aren't getting calls back. The phone book lists Emergency Service Vets in the area as East Hawai'i Vet Center, 959-2273, and Aloha Vet Center 935-PETS. I don't know if you tried them. Most vets say they open at 8 am Saturday. I don't see one 24 hour number. Maybe someone will have some experience. The Keauhou Vet Hospital looks like a good shot but it's a long way from you, as is the Ali'i Vet Hospital office in HOVE, which also says it takes emergencies.

Seems like no one wants to work on New Year's, so am wishing you luck and hoping they are OK.
Thank you so much Kathy!We don't have a phone book at the house,just googled a few things. East Hawaii Vet only wants established clients to call the Docs emergency #.
Aloha Vet.has a # but there is a $30 charge to speak with a doc so we are just holding our breath and keeping a good eye on them.They are acting sleepy but that could just be because it is past their bed time.Smile
Getting in the trash is a new habit and we will be buying a trash can with a lid tomorrow! Looks like it might be a long night for a worried Mama.. Thanks for your concernSmile
If the chicken bones were from store-bought chickens and the dogs are not teensy itty-bitty critters then probably there is nothing much to worry about. Pen-raised chickens' bones are very soft; mush right up when chewed and do totally digest. Free-range and wild chickens, on the other hand, can have very hard bones which can splinter.

Best of luck with the doggies.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Nirvana vs Rick Astley
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0e9J6Kc6QQ&feature=fvw

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Astonishing skill! This archer is a real-life Legolas and then some!
http://geekologie.com/2013/11/real-life-...rs-anc.php

Many years ago I had to call Aloha vet at night for an emergency - just called the regular number and there were instructions about who to call in an emergency. Seems you might have done that already! I don't remember the $30 charge but times have changed.

Hopefully your dogs are just fine and you won't need to make an emergency call, but if you do I'd recommend sucking up the $30 charge and using Aloha vet - they're very good.

Tom
anything I could do to help, be it only pull out my phone book, I'm happy to be there ... sorry no better info!
I would like to know the answer to this question, too. Jerry had an old thread on this. It is a concern. All of you mainlanders, you should talk to every vet you see, and tell them about this wonderful island and how they should move there. I do that with my vet every chance I get. We need one good 24 hour vet on the island. Make that two.
I had a situation where one of my dogs became violently ill on a Sunday morning. I called every vet number listed, but none would see me. I ended up driving up to Waimea to the Vet Associates at a cost of $600. Isn't there some way we can pressure the practicing vets in this area to be available for weekend or evening emergencies on a rotating basis? Probably not, but my dog would've died if the vet in Waimea, Dr. Gressard, hadn't agreed to come in on a Sunday afternoon for two hours.
Dr Seeska in Keaau would have probably helped you but she is out of town and on vacation I think till tomorrow.
Boo Boo (the cat) had started to lose weight and coat was getting ragged - but he was still Boo Boo - doing his Boo Boo things - then he wasn't! It was Saturday - called a friend who KNOWS about local Vets for a recommendation - had me contact Kilauea Veterinary (966-8582). Some "angel" answered the phone and told me the Doctor was away for a month - BUT asked specific questions to try and help. Her conclusion was Boo Boo could not WAIT till Monday, lethargic, yellow gums - liver problems. Gave me the number for Aloha Veterinary Center (935-7387) - told me it was $30.00 to talk to a Doctor and to be prepared with credit card and information to save time. Called - paid - talked to Dr. Morrison - not good - can't wait - bring him in to Hospital - 30 minutes! Arrived - Dr. and two assistants where there 3:30pm. Minimum charge $300.00 for emergency opening of the Hospital. After talking treatment we left Boo Boo in their care and walked out $500.00 lighter.

Went home and cried - empty nester and had no idea how much emotion we had invested in Boo Boo. We love him.

Dr. Morrison called us Sunday from the hospital after checking on Boo Boo - not good - liver shut down - on I.V with antibiotics - probably won't make it.

We cried some more!

Monday - at hospital met Dr. Brundage - who has treated many cats with liver problems - we discussed treatment, etc.
A week latter, we took Boo Boo home - he is on the mend - BUT not out of the woods - have to syringe feed him a high protein diet until he starts to eat by himself for at least 6 weeks.
The bottom line is the EXCELLENT advice we received from the "angel" at Kilauea Veterinary Services and the EXCELLENT care Boo Boo is getting from Aloha Veterinary Center.

Not CHEAP but Boo Boo's worth it!