Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voting
Okay, all you civic minded punatics.... gossip is that voter registration in Hawaii is very high but actual turn out is very low... so where are you?

DID YOU VOTE TODAY?

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
YES!
Yeah...well the "plan" was to go vote, but wouldn'tcha just know it?! There I was, driving along quite peacefully, and suddenly I'm distracted to the point of near-death by the usual slew of sign-waving lunatics (whose tactics nearly backfired on 'em this morning!).

Thank god that cinder-truck driver had good reflexes or there'd be another dozen flower-arrangements out there on the ol' highway

"Vote for me!
Vote for my auntie!
We care about Puna!"

Ha! Yeah. Right. Over the last couple decades it become quite clear that none of 'em gives a rat's patoot for their potential-constituents' safety in the least.

And personally I find that highly offensive.

(I also find their self-promotion (as opposed to actual work in the community) to be not only sad, but hilarious in the extreme: as I'm sure you've noticed over the last several months, the vast majority of 'em are too bloody dim to even come in out of the rain!)

---Malolo

Edited by - malolo on 09/23/2006 18:15:37
i voted in kea'au, my landlady was there running the precinct. I voted at 2pm, she said that by then less than 200 of 1200 registered voters had actually shown up, and that's only the registered voters! Guess all those signs, don't mean much when it actually comes to affecting meaningfull change. With turnouts like this one could easily throw elections just by busing selected voters! So anyone who feels like complaining about ANYTHING in Puna, unless you voted; keep it to yourself. I blame my peers more than anyone. We've allowed ourselves to fall for the BS idea that our votes are pointless, geez! Talk about self-defeatism! Nothing is quite as sad as "activists" dis-enfranchising themselves.

Maybe one day we can get intellingent voting policies in place that offer incentives or even cash to voters to vote. Maybe we can get instant run-off elections, so that you can vote a list of canidates, not just one republican or one democrat. Sigh, thanks to all of you who voted. You are true partiots.

In some parts of the world, people are willing to die for the right to vote. In Puna people are too laid back and enjoying the weather ;-) Lucky you!!!

Things have a tendency to change slowly over time for the worst and before you know it the life style that you loved is sold to the highest developer, the same guy who helped get his candidate elected.

"I believe that voting is the first act of building a community as well as building a country." John Ensign

Edited by - adias on 09/24/2006 11:20:36
yes I voted. I also love the small community that does have aunties and uncles waving for their favorite candidate. I just drive slower as I go by them.
Australia makes it mandatory to vote. I know a guy who was actually hauled into court for not voting. Think how different American politics would be if everyone voted.

Aloha,
Rob L
Aloha,
Rob L
Yep, I voted!

John Dirgo, RA, ABR, e-PRO
Island Trust Properties, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
John Dirgo, R, PB, EcoBroker, ABR, e-PRO
Aloha Coast Realty, LLC
808-987-9243 cell
http://www.alohacoastrealty.com
http://www.bigislandvacationrentals.com
http://www.maui-vacation-rentals.com
Yes, I voted, and I feel good even though most of my candidates lost. Now I am entitled to complain! People who don't vote really have no basis for griping about how things turn out.

Aloha,
Jerry

quote:
Australia makes it mandatory to vote. I know a guy who was actually hauled into court for not voting. Think how different American politics would be if everyone voted.

Aloha,
Rob L

Rob,
That would only make sense if the voters studied it until they acually knew what was going on and then took a test to see how well they really knew. Maybe just a simple ttest about history and what happened politically, not related to the current election. Same in this country, have 'em take a test and what percentage that they get right on the test scores is what percentage their vote weighs in toward the total.

Having a law doesn't work to force them to vote, IMO. Here in our country, there are folks that hire people to stand in line and picket/protest whatever it is that may bother them. They have been exposed when someone questions them about the subject they are against and don't have a clue, other than to say that they were hired to be there. Seems they go to the local homeless shelter and can get a bunch of folks with nothing to do and want to have some spending money. Looks impressive when you have a crowd of protestors, until there isn't a valid one there, come to find out.

I always considered the sign wavers to be the ones who were usually related to the one who they were promoting, at least that is how I dismissed them. I was not going to go talk politics with them, when you can read all the information you can want about it to form your own opinion. It did not change my mind at all. What could you really learn from them?

Aloha,
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheLanai
Lucy

Having another Great day in Paradise, Wherever that Maybe!