Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill 189 restricts water use in times of need.
There is a bill before council (Bill 189) submitted by the Finance Director. The short summary from the county is:

"regulates the use of water spigots and updates water hauling charges during times of declared emergency; limits water collection from the spigots to 55 gallons per day; and stipulates that the container size shall be no more than 55 gallons."

I think this bill deserves some attention from everyone even if you are not in need of hauling water yourself.

1st: It is not clear what is defined as a "declared emergency". Puna, at least, sits on the most substantial aquifer on the island. Water is one of life's more primary needs.

2nd: Our agriculture depends on these spigots during periods of drought. Live stock, commercial growers and home gardens can suffer substantial loss if sufficient water is not available. 55 gallons is very limiting in time of need. I am not referring to commercial water haulers who haul and resell water. I am referring to our residents and farmers who only turn to these spigots in time of drought - and the need is real.

3rd. Restricting the containers adds additional expense and hardship. Many farmers might own a 150 gallon or 250 gallon chemtainer. Requiring that they abandon those investments and buy 55 gallon barrels is a bit dictatorial in my view.

4th. Upgrading the charges to commercial haulers is fine. They haul thousands of gallons at a time.

I would urge all citizens to contact council and submit testimony in opposition to Bill 189.

Send to <counciltestimony@co.hawaii.hi.us>

Refer to Bill 189
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
I also oppose this measure. I am a home vegetable grower and small-time nursery producer who sells plants as the HPP Swap Meet. I have the ability to haul about 150 gallons at a time, which is enough to keep my "bare minimum" of operations going if I make a trip every few days. This regulation would force me to make more trips, using more gas and creating more traffic and queues at the spigots. It is not a good proposal.
The spigots were never intended to be used for commercial purposes according to the following excerpt.

Civil Defense maintains 15 water spigots around the county. A 16th spigot is expected to be completed as part of the Ocean View water well project perhaps as early as 2010.

The water is intended for drinking and cooking use only, Mento said. The spigots were established in 1988 as an emergency source of drinking water as a precaution against lead contamination in catchment systems caused by acid rain.

I wonder why the Finance Director submitted this.

I also oppose such a radical restriction. I think perhaps preference should be given to smaller containers for household use, and maybe larger tanks could be filled at off peak hours.

If the County isn't going to help bring water to the people (farmers too), they shouldn't inhibit them coming to get it. (As long as they're not reselling it).

Peace

Stoneface
[quote]Originally posted by 808blogger

I wonder why the Finance Director submitted this.

Because it has to be paid for.

Civil Defense pays the Department of Water Supply for every gallon pumped from the spigots. It also pays the Department of Public Works to maintain the spigots.
It seems unrealistic and unenforceable. 55 gallons to an individual a day vs. 55 gallons to a family of six.... BIG difference. People aren't going to voluntarily cooperate. They can't even follow trash disposal rules, causing extreme costs for monitoring and closures.

Today I went to the Mountain View water spigot which is woefully inadequate with, I believe, two spigots... possibly three. I felt the hostility amongst the people waiting in the long line and opted to leave when I saw one man park out of order and wedge his way to the spigots out of turn. Glad I did; turns out it took three police officers to break up the fight. I found water available and no wait at the Kurtistown spigot. I was thankful to fill two 55 gallon drums for two households of two each, plus a 5 gallon drinking water dispenser and about six one-gallon jugs.

I sure hope it rains soon!
I

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I'm really appreciative of Harry Kim for setting up the public spigots. I remember the day in the not too distant past when knowledge of spigot locations around town was paramount. I used to get water from; Pauls service, Pahoa Clinic, or the 7/11.

This was before the big water filter machines were installed outside of businesses. As a catchment family in time of drought, I had to put my kid's well being ahead of any ethical concerns.

If I'm correct, the price of water is incredibly cheap here for people fortunate enough to be on the system. Getting the system to you is another matter. It's cheaper to put in a well. (You can take it from here Daniel)

Stoneface
I have requested both James Weatherford and Loren Baker to weigh in on this important topic. I look forward to their responses.

Andrew
(Puna resident)

Chinese curse "May you live in interesting times".
I am appreciative of Harry Kim too and thank him every time I see him. The improvement in the road side water availability was one of the first things he did as Mayor. It made sense and was responsive to the people's most simple need. I don't recall him talking about it a lot. He just did it.

Contact council on this Bill......
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator