Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paying gas and fees to a police officer?
First of all thank you all for great help in my traffic ticket questions and I hope you will forgive me the new thread.
Something I've just read on the reverse side of the citation made me totally confused:

"If you request a hearing to contest the infraction(s) in person...

you must appear at the hearing to explain the grounds on which you

contest the infraction(s).If you want the issuing officer to be present at the hearing

you must request a subpoena from a district court and

pay mileage/witness fees to effectuate the service.

First - if I want(?) the police officer to be present..?

Everyone going to a court is hoping that the officer will not show up!

2. I must request
the subpoena?

Who do they think I am -a judge?

3.Is an officer is already being paid by taxpayers for his service
and on the top of it in Hawaii because of private vehicles they pay gas/mileage to the police.

What is it-triple pay ?

Well,it's pretty much answers the question weather I should go to court.

I am wondering if anyone ever goes[V]..
maybe im not so crazy... seems kinda like a setup.

Moderator: Can we please lighten up with the unnecessary quoting from directly above? [quote removed]
Sounds kinda strange to me too. I don't know how the system works there. Seems it might be considerably different from what I'm used to. In what context was "triple pay" used?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Oink,I don't think I can explain better in different words.
Triple or double,a police officer is already getting paid for gas unless he has to justify every gallon he spends.
As for the fees ..I don't know what his salary pays for.

I don't want to discuss that part.

I would like to hear from someone who went to the court in Puna or Hawaii to share some experience about those fees.
Any police officer on the forum?[Smile]
Retired one here but not in Hawaii can only speak of what Florida was like. If you contest the violation the Officer must appear to state why he gave you the thing,sounds rather strange but who knows? the fee system seems to be designed to make money not improve safety, which is what I believe is the idea.
I like it here in the shallow end of the gene pool
Thank you,amf217.
It is strange.If I someone would tell me about it I'd probably not believe it at all.

The police officer was nice and sincerely suggested that I'd just pay the fine.He didn't say why.But now I know[Sad!]
The question that I have is, if you get out of the ticket, do you get your witness and mileage fees back? OK, I know, highly unlikely, but lets just consider it a possibility.

Sean
See you in the surf
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

The question that I have is, if you get out of the ticket, do you get your witness and mileage fees back?
Why not? File a notice of claim like any other action seeking compensation from the County. Probably cost you more to file than what you will get, but it can be done.
Ok, I get your "triple pay" statement. Again, I don't know how it works in Hi. In this area of S. Fl., if the officer gets witness fees, while he is also being paid by the county, he has to endorse the witness check back to the county. If he wants to keep the witness check he can't claim hours worked for the county. It may be the same there and is a case of the county trying to recoup costs.

I still wouldn't think it was your responsibility to have the officer present. Without the officer there will be no one to rebut your statements and the judge should be only going from the notes on the citation. Therefore your statements should hold more weight. But who knows? It does seem a strange system.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.