Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Ocean Entry Yet, Surface Flows in Royal Gardens
I changed the title of this thread to reflect current conditions.

Stoneface
Could it mean that the volcano is not active anymore?
End of lava zones?!
Sorry Hope,
I think Kilauea, Mauna Loa, Hualalai, Loihi, and possibly Haleakala are good to go for at least another couple hundred thousand years.

Stoneface
quote:
Originally posted by StillHope

Could it mean that the volcano is not active anymore?
End of lava zones?!

that's funny! reminds me of a bbq I was at in kapoho where the land owner said... 'not in my lifetime, right?' in response to a discussion of what might happen if there was another eruption like the one in 1960. one life time after another all the islands grow.. and then go away. kilauea will one day be as big as mauna loa! what we know of as puna today will be under 1000's of feet of rock! and then it'll all fall down.. and be as small as oahu... an atoll.. poof*

lava zone are here to stay
the activity, at this time (5:50pm Thursday), at the kilauea summit vent (as seen at http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/HMcam/ ) is off the scale awesome!
Hmmmmm...fire in the hole! Looks like lava, way down in the vent, which I think is about 600 feet down. But the pattern of the last few months is for that lava to persistently push up through the vent. A couple of days ago, it has reached the top of the vent and spilled over a little.

Mark Twain wrote in "Roughing It" about a lake of fire in the caldera. Not sure if we will get a lake, but I predict the action will be at the summmit this year.
I hope some of you who are interested can make the free seminar Saturday at UHH from 9-12 am.

Sponsored by the Center for the Study of Active Volcanoes, it features Don Thomas, Jim Kauahikaua, Don Swanson, Frank Trusdell, Quince Mento, and andrea Ka'awaloa.

I heard Don Thomas this morning on a segment of Mynabird and if he is any indication, the seminar will be very interesting.

Stoneface
There may not be any lava in the tubes yet but there is a lot of activity at Helema'uma'u. I have a friend that lives at the park and said that there is so much seismic activity along with the lava sloshing in the vent they are on a little bit of alert. I looked at the images coming from the rim and the vent is pushing a lot of stuff into the air.

Royall

Wow you guys! I can't sleep and it's fascinating what's happening at the crater! Amazing amounts of lava and gorgeous red glow!

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
At this moment (5:39 am Hawaii time) the plume is redder than I have seen it in the past few years. Clearly visible on the webcam. The action is at the summit.