Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Woodland Center worker killed in accident
You may have heard this already that a steel worker, Jeremy Rose- age 34, fell from the Long's structure and sustained fatal injuries. He was from Idaho. It is a sad thing to lose your life far from home. A young man who I will assume was working to support his family. My heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
So very sad. My friend in the construction business had just driven by the work site the day before and had commented that none of the workers up on the girders had safety harnesses. He was shocked. Does anyone know if this is true? If it were, it would seem to me to be a violation of OSHA or other relevant regulations.
At a talk story with Mayor Kenoi last fall there was a local worker complaining about the construction of the Fire Station in Pahoa. The complaint was that mainland contractor's had won the low bid for the work but were not working with the safety standards or training that local unions were required to provide. We can't compete with companies that are held to a lower standard.

As I recall the Mayor promised to look into it.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
This is very sad for this young man and his family. I agree with you Rob regarding the lower standards and lack of safety features as well.

The responsibility for this unnecessary death should fall squarely on the developer and contractor for their poor choices in lieu of a lower bid for the project.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Do the regulations allow for a lower standard of safety equipment and training if the contractor is mainland-based? Somehow I doubt it, but I would defer to the knowledge of the construction professionals who share their expertise here. If, as I strongly suspect, there was a violation, hopefully there will be consequences and a reduced likelihood of another tragic incident like this.

The family, friends, and co-workers of this young man have my sympathy.
Jerry, there is no automatic exemption from State/County regulations because the company isn't a domestic company. They would have to have an exemption specifically granted by the State/County from regulations. If Hawaii granted such an exemption, that would raise a question of fair competition by requiring domestic (in state) companies to perform to one standard and foreign (out of state) companies to live by a lesser standard. The bid documents would have outlined the exemption and that should have raise one heck of a challenge from domestic companies.
Thank you, Bob. I didn't think so.
There could be clear regulation violations and the company will be held accountable for that. Part of this would have to separate "local customs" and "company rules" from written regulatory requirements. Example, at a new mega mall under construction, local customs and company rules require hardhats on site. However, regulations may only require the hardhats when in certain areas or around certain activities at the site. A person not wearing a hardhat 1/2 mile away from any construction activity may be violating company rules or not following traditional local customs, but it may not be a violation of regulations.
Was this a Union shop?
I don't belive Sure Steel is a union company. They bid on contracts all over the western US and bring many of their mainland workers or hire locally in Utah to do the work. They do have a Hawaii contractor's license, but is Utah based.