Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puna, Hilo and Mauna Kea slide show
All,

I put together a few photos I've taken over the last year into a slide show on Flickr. Some are from Puna, the odd one from Hilo (Rainbow Falls) although most are from Mauna Kea. I'd like to add more from Puna and will probably get around to that at some point soon (they're on my old PC). No music I'm afraid, although I watched it while listening to "The Beauty of Mauna Kea" by Keola Beamer which seemed to go nicely with the pictures.

Anyway, for those interested, the link is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77754016@N0...7255/show/

Thanks,
Tom

Tom - very nice....
the season changes on MK are awesome (& the full moon rising over Hilo with the Mauna kea shadow pointing to Hilo bay...

Gotta ask, with all of the observatory shots, (esp the laser guide one) Do you work up on the mountain? is so which scope?
Hi Carey,

Yes, I work on the mountain although most of the time I'm in the office in Hilo or at home in Puna! I'm an astronomer at UKIRT.

Tom
Tom K,
I guess this is the only site that Carey tunes into.

Ha ha The Lack

The Lack Toons
Tom,

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm sending the link to all my poor friends stuck on the mainland to make them even more jealous.

I have a question about the shot of Gemini north w/ the laser in Aug 09. While we camped in the eucalyptus forest at Hosmer Grove on Haleakala, we noticed green pulsating lights coming from the summit. It scared the c___ out of us. It was very late at night & VERY EERIE. Being an astronomer, do you have any idea what that was? It was in 2000 or 01.
DoryGray,

My guess would be the army training at Pohakuloa. I can assure you we don't fire off green pulsating lights from the summit! I've been on the summit a few times when the army/air force have been doing exercises at Pohakuloa and the first time I saw the lights it sort of freaked me out as well (that was back in the late 90s). If you were on Haleakala then Pohakuloa and MK are in the same general direction and I'd bet a lot of money you were seeing the army testing their kit. In 2000/2001 there were no lasers at the Mauna Kea telescopes so it couldn't have been that.

Did you hear any noises, e.g., like distant thunder?

Tom
PS. Did you also see a red pulsating light?
Great photos! I especially like the ones with the shadow of MK.
Paul - there are hundreds of tourists on the summit each night and they all watch the sunset to the west - rightly so because it's stunning. Most of them miss an even more stunning view to the east (IMHO) which is the shadow of MK. Given the right conditions (e.g., some clouds) the shadow can be the most spectacular part of the sunset but when there's some high cirrus around the colours in the sky to the west are unbelievable.

I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures!

Tom
Thank you Tom for posting the link to your slide show. I have enjoyed becoming familiar with MK through your blog and now these pics. Beautiful!

Enjoy the day! Ann

Back to blogging at
http://crazypineappledream.blogspot.com
Enjoy the day! Ann