Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lonely wanderer on Highways 19 and 130

Over the last few weeks I have seen an older man walking alone on the highways, either going from Keaau to Hilo, or Keaau to Pahoa or opposite directions. One day I saw him in the Keaau post office and the manager was asking him if his daughter had received the letter he gave him to hand to her. The man seemed confused. Having experienced it in my family, I would say he could be suffering alzheimers. Confusion and wandering are classic symptoms.

He looks Asian, and is usually wearing dark pants, a lighter shirt, white shoes and carries a big black bag, sometimes over his shoulder. I see him often in the heat of the day, and his bag seems heavy.

I used to see him rarely but in the last few days I have seen him every time I drive from HPP to Hilo or back. I feel I should do something. I think I will stop in the post office and ask if they know who he is and perhaps I can try to contact his family or help in some way. It is just so sad to see him out in the heat of the day walking so far.

Has anyone else seen this man or know who he is?
Not sure about the man you are describing. I often see the man we call "the walking guy" in Hilo town. He is so emaciated and always holding his much-too-large shorts or pants up with one hand, barefoot, etc. He walks with purpose.

When I mentioned him at my office, everyone knew who I was talking about. No one knew him but said that the homeless usually know where the shelters and food are. Mental illness is very sad, indeed. There are so many homeless here because of the bearable weather. I'm with you and hope there's help for them if they want it.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
The older Asian man walking the highways from lower Puna to Hilo and back was a common sight here for years and he disappeared from sight for the last few years. I noticed recently that he's back. Don't know his personal situation but he was one of several people that spent all their time walking along the highways. People used to stop and offer rides, etc. but got nowhere.

It is a compulsive activity for some mentally ill people and if it's their desire to pass their time walking instead of sitting somewhere simply passing time or in a ward taking meds and being given "make-work" occupational therapy sessions. it seems healthier to me. I was surprised to see the old gentleman back but glad that he hadn't passed away. About 10 years ago there were 3 or 4 regulars walking the roads and they were all Japanese men. Many more years ago there was a black woman in Hilo who was a regular but I think she relocated to HNL somehow.
Thanks for filling me in, Frankie.

I do agree, it's better to see him doing what he wants to do. I hope he has water because he sure seems to pick the hottest time of the day for his long treks!

Isn't it nice to know that of our Punawebbers, someone cared enough to notice the old man and ask if he is okay and someone else knows a little something about the situation and set all our minds at ease? After all, it could have been your grandfather who has alzheimers and got lost... you would want someone to notice if he were just wandering the streets.

Punaweb is just so cool!

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Everyone is misinterpreting this. When you see a person walking alone in this way, always think "What is the volcano goddess trying to tell me?". A friend and I were on the spooky, spooky road to the Jagger overlook at the summit one midnight when we saw just the person you describe, with a walking stick and a smile. These people are NOT THERE. Ghosts and volcanic emissaries materialize. Do not be fooled.
Sorry Glen - much prefer Pam's take.

Of a similar note...if any of you drive the north side of Hilo, there is an older gentleman who appears to have undertaken the responsibility of litter patrol. Usually see him in the afternoon with his bike with a "Drive with Aloha" sign. Bike is often overloaded with bags of trash. While we usually see him in or near the light at Wainuenue and Bayfront Hwy 19, I've been surprised to see him after dark pushing his bike toward Puakaa. Anyone know his story?

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
David, I don't know his story but I too have seen him out in the island area of the intersection where you mentioned picking up trash and cigarette butts.

Royall

Also another man, George from france, walks from HPP to Hilo all the time. He is in his 70's. A great guy if you ever get the chance to talk to him.

Daniel R Diamond
Daniel R Diamond
Daniel, the elderly man you're talking about. Does he have grey hair & beard? I see this elederly gentleman almost daily make the trek to Hilo from HPP. He looks a bit dishoveled, but he moves with purpose! I'm wondering if it's the same guy?

';

-----------

Let's get together and over grow the government!!!!
-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!