Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Sands Beach
Finally did the 4x4 trail/trails/ruts to Green Sands yesterday. It's an awesome drive, especially if you keep closely to the shoreline. Lot's of white sand pockets along the way.
Anyone know how to head down via "The Back Way"?
Still have to do the snorkeling down there, looks like some of the best waters on the island.

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
The same route as to Lao'okamilo Pt & Kamilo bay, way past the Mark Twain Monkeypod on Ka'alu'alu-Wai'ohinu Rd , then the coastal trail...(there is a gate)
Heh. I wish I had a 4wd that could go back there. I always walked that from that parking area nearly 4 miles away, which depending on how how and windy it is, can be a real work out, especially with that uneven terrain.

Also, last time I was there I didn't even see a way to climb down to the beach. Is there a way now?
You are lucky you didn't get busted! They only let people hike in there now, no drive-in. They have an "officer" on site to ticket the violators.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

There is a very easy trail down to the beach from the edge above the back center. You can't really tell until you get right up to it. When did they stop letting people drive in? Did so 4-5 months ago.
I used to live on Green Sands Rd (Ka'alu'alu) & we used to 4 wheel from the end of the pavement. I used to ride my horse (which is a lot less bumpy) the 6 miles to Ka'alu'alu Bay & take a right to Green Sand Beach. You can also camp at the bay, primitive though.
John... you've been reading too many guide books.
I lived in Mark Twain Estates and people talked about driving down to Green Sands all the time, I simply never got around to it.
The only people who try to stop people are some trolls that hang at the gate on occasion and talk BS. There's about 4-5-8 crisscrossing roads that head in there and it ain't new.
Yesterday there were over a half dozen people out there in vehicles at any given time coming and going frequently. I spoke with an old fisherman down at the loading ramp by the southern gate yesterday, the only thing you need to drive in there is a 4X4 and there isn't any prohibition against driving in there.
Aside from that... by law there must be signs posted that warn and notify people of such illegalities, there's no such signs in that area and the gate has been demolished for over 40 plus years by the looks of it. I'd like to see a citation stick when no signs are posted about it.

No guidebooks here, call DHHL if you don't believe me. The guys who were collecting "parking fees" and such were caretakers of the property and have been booted from there about two years ago. For a while DHHL issued $25.00 permits to drive through the property but stopped doing that last(?) year. They don't want cars there now and published the changes in the WHT.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

There are also a couple of "local guys" with 4x4 pickup trucks that offer to take people back and forth for cash. We last went in December. Drove our truck right in and saw many tourist rental Jeeps too.
Well... they better get in there and block ALL the existing roads and post permanent signs.
Folks ain't gonna be looking through old news paper articles from WHT to find such information or calling DHHL, that isn't how things are made illegal. So far it sounds like "Story".
Caretakers getting booted... you mean squaters perhaps?