Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You all don't know how good you have it there...
... or maybe you do!
I hate these biannual time changes!

No "Daylight Savings Time" - another great reason to move to Hawaii. [Big Grin]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Yeah, but we've got to remind our mainland family & friends that there's another hour time difference between us. So it's still confusing, but at least the local time stays the same. :-)

aloha, Liz

"The best things in life aren't things."
I agree with you EF!! Always screwed my sleep time up! Got worse as I got older too. One great plus for living here for sure!

Royall

I know it was just shifting and the "extra" daylight was illusory, but I sometimes miss those summer days when it stayed daylight until 9 or 9:30 p.m. That provided some great after-work recreational opportunities. Also for my last twelve years on the mainland, I was flying back and forth to Asia every other month, so the seasonal time changes were nothing compared to the jet lag. I adjusted easily.

Cheers,
Jerry
I don't feel lucky. Having to deal with other time zones for all sorts of business, it's a real pain when the difference changes. The extra hour makes it all the harder to remember to call the East Coast before the business day ends. It's not even lunch here and stuff is closed. It's one thing I do not like about living here; California was bad enough that way.
As a Realtor, I get calls whenever the Mainland people think I should be up. They're always surprised at 6:00 a.m. or 11:00 p.m. when I'm not awake and lively. Mostly I can grin & bear it. Of course, a call when I'm asleep sends me grabbing the phone thinking it's some kind of friend or family emergency. I'm sure I don't sound like my cheerful self, but HELLO, I've got notes by my phone telling me the time zones. Thoughtfullness & courtesy are appreciated.
I disliked the time change since childhood. I remember, when I was kid, my mother telling me that they didn't have Daylight Time in Arizona or Hawaii. Every time we had to change the clocks, I would think about those lucky people in those states. Now, I'm one of them. The relatively minor inconvenience of adjusting for mainland time is worth it to me.
I grew up in Indiana as much as any one place, and most of that state didn't do time changes. I hated it when we lived in Oregon, right when it was starting to get dark really early they would change the time, and it would get dark even earlier. I sometimes miss those long summer days, but the inverse of long winter nights just isn't worth it. One of things that really attracted us to Hawaii was the fact that the daylight swings just aren't that big, the difference between the longest and shortest days is only few hours, at the 44th parallel it is more like 8 hours. Not good for anyone prone to seasonal affective disorder. When I first got my teaching certificate, friends who knew I was thinking outside the box on where to start my career suggested Alaska, I told them that it would be a dead heat to see who would become psychotic first, me or my husband.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Moving here from Arizona was great since nothing is different time-wise...don't have to use our brains. lol

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
I moved here from the UK with extended family in Europe. You think getting called from the east or west coast is bad? Wink