Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter to HPPOA Board of Directors
March 13, 2010

To: HPPOA Board of Directors

I am all for saving the Association money, unless it puts the Association at risk or poses a conflict of interest. The issues raised here are not about the individuals acting as Road Supervisor Crew or as General Manager. To me, they seem to be doing a fine job.
The concerns expressed are about how the board does business and its decision making processes.

Dale Watson has stated in response to the owner input at the membership meeting, which he did not attend, “There was also someone wanting to know why we were renting a dump truck to haul material…”

From what I have heard and observed, “renting a dump truck” is not the entire issue:

Heard: The Association Road Crew Supervisor (RCS) has a company (or his sister does) and that road materials are being purchased from this company.

Observed: RCS driving a vehicle lettered with a business name containing “Kahaleo” (reportedly owned by RCS or his sister) during HPPOA business hours.

Heard: RCS is reimbursed for mileage when he uses his company’s vehicles for HPPOA work.

Questions:

When the RCS is driving his company vehicles while doing HPPOA business and has an accident, whose liability is it? HPPOA’s? His?

When RCS is in HPPOA, wearing an HPPOA shirt, during HPPOA business hours driving his company vehicles and providing his company services is he on the HPPOA payroll, or is he on his own payroll, or both?

When RCS is providing his company services to HPPOA, during HPPOA business hours, how can he effectively attend to his HPPOA Road Crew Supervisor duties?

When HPPOA asks for bids for road materials are they sealed bids?

Is the RCS privy to the quotes of other companies prior to submitting a bid from his company?

Keeping in mind that the board is responsible for the acts of the Association, and is accountable to the membership for its actions, I request that the board address the questions posed in this letter, obtain an opinion from legal counsel on the situation, and report its findings and actions at the April board meeting.

Regards,
JoAnne Backman

Cc: www.punaweb.org
You have asked the right questions!

Do you all have a 'road committee'? If so, the Board might want to refer this issue to that committee to research and report back to the Board with recommendations. Having a copy of the Minutes which reflect the Board's decision to accept the bid from the current vendor for the Road Committee would be good too, assuming the bid process was employed.

Planned Community Associations can be challenging. Reading through the various threads here it sounds like many have similar challenges and there is never a way to 'please all of the people all of the time'.

Wish you all the best. From an outsider's point of view, Kaniu seems to be the perfect 'people' person for the job. She is compassionate; intelligent; understands what is required. I observed her at a recent FOPF event at HPP with a number of senior attendees and she met them with grace and aloha, assisted them to their chairs, talked story with them and generally made them feel welcomed. It is a gift to the seniors to have someone actually demonstrate they matter.

“A penny saved is a government oversight.”
"Q might have done the right thing for the wrong reason, perhaps we need a good kick in our complacency to get us ready for what's ahead" -- Captain Picard, to Guinan (Q Who?)