Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
grade schools
where would you prefer to have your children go to elementary school, in Pahoa or Kea'au, and why?

-----------

Support the 'Jack Herer Initiative'NOW!!
Neither.
But if I absolutely had too I'd say Keaau just because its such a nice new building with a/c.
There was an article in todays paper about the violence in schools and Pahoa was much,much higher than Keaau.

quote:
Neither.
But if I absolutely had too I'd say Keaau just because its such a nice new building with a/c.
There was an article in todays paper about the violence in schools and Pahoa was much,much higher than Keaau.

what do you suggest ,...home schooling, or a charther school?

-----------

I think that there is a lot of fear with the schools here. We put our kids in Keaau. We are haoles and I was afraid of what my kids might go through. The first day they were teased and I was ready to home school. My husband told me to wait and see what happens. I have 2nd and 4th grade kids. Since then we have only praise to say for the school. The homework is less than on the mainland. We give the kids extra homework at home in areas we feel they need the extra time in. In the mainland we were so swamped with homework I could never help them where they actually need help. I like the fact that they have a music program and hawaiian culture. They are learning far more life lessons here rather than how fast you can add 2 + 2. They had a science night and could not belive they could get more than 40 students to go. It was fantastic and free too. I think you get what you put into schooling. As far as fights are concerned I'm keeping an eye out! If I felt that my children were being picked on I would then decide if homeschooling is for me. The people I know that do homeschool tell me that it is a full time job. Especially if you have more than one child. It is very difficult for me to get them to do their homework let alone teach them all day. Hope this helps.

Jade

We have a friend that lives in HPP & substitutes teaches at both. They both have some problems, and pluses. At church, before reading the Herald, we were talking about schools & she brought up a point I hadn't heard in any of the discussions. She has subbed at both. She stated that there are days when each one will have 11 - 17 substitute teachers. She sees this as a major problem. If you are looking to sub teach, she stated that she can work every single day. These schools are not huge, 11-17 seems like a very high percentage of the work force not in school. I do not know how common this is, but the view from this one sub was that it was way too common.
Aloha, Carey

quote:
I think that there is a lot of fear with the schools here. We put our kids in Keaau. We are haoles and I was afraid of what my kids might go through. The first day they were teased and I was ready to home school. My husband told me to wait and see what happens. I have 2nd and 4th grade kids. Since then we have only praise to say for the school. The homework is less than on the mainland. We give the kids extra homework at home in areas we feel they need the extra time in. In the mainland we were so swamped with homework I could never help them where they actually need help. I like the fact that they have a music program and hawaiian culture. They are learning far more life lessons here rather than how fast you can add 2 + 2. They had a science night and could not belive they could get more than 40 students to go. It was fantastic and free too. I think you get what you put into schooling. As far as fights are concerned I'm keeping an eye out! If I felt that my children were being picked on I would then decide if homeschooling is for me. The people I know that do homeschool tell me that it is a full time job. Especially if you have more than one child. It is very difficult for me to get them to do their homework let alone teach them all day. Hope this helps.

Jade

Jade, I understand your concerns about your kids. Myself I grew up in Lahaina, Maui. They use to have "kill haole day",every year. But it wasn't limited to poor white kids, we also had "Choke a Moke day", and "slap a Jap Day",too and so on and so forth. But todays kids, and situations are different.
Currently my nine year old goes to Liholiho Elementary School in Kapahulu, and it's the only 'Blue Ribbon' school in the state...and it's a public school to boot! My concerns are more about quality of education these kids get from outer island schools

Like myself, my kids are Hapa. My father is french/Tahitian, and mother Japanese. My wife is Japanese, so my kids fit in okay..just concern is about quality of education in Puna

-----------

The problem with a lack of teachers and subs working overtime was going on 5 years ago when I moved here.So from what Carey says its still a problem.
Another problem is the curriculum is so far behind the schools in the mainland.I'd say at least a few years.Private schools are expensive @ 5k a year so you'll have to figure that into your budget,Charter schools all seem to have waiting lists.There are a few good schools in Hilo and I'm told there may be ways to get your child into them if you don't live in the district.But you'll have to provide your own transportation (with the private schools too).Search on "reasons to leave hawaii" thread there is some info on schools etc...
If you have not bought anything yet you may want to look into Hilo RE some pluses
better schools
property values will hold better
less commute time (rush hour could take 45mins and longer from Puna areas with no immediate relief in site)

The www.hawaiitribune-herald.com is doing a 3 day article on east hi schools I think sun,mon,tues.

Also Pahoa schools are failing schools and risk loosing lots federal funding under GWB's new program to keep the poor suppressed even more.So you may want to look into that if you are considering Pahoa public schools.

On another note Keaau Middle school is a horrible place, the teachers will even tell you to send your child some place else.Lots of folks use an alternate school for 6th,7th and 8th grade then send the kids to Keaau high.
Sorry this seems so daunting but there are options.Smile

Hey Carey are you ready for trick or treaters
Your neighborhood is the place to go!

Edited by - punamom on 10/31/2006 00:07:17
Punamom, I appreciate the time you put into your response for me. But could you dwell a bit on why a Home/property value in Hilo will hold better than Puna?

Plus any idea why middle school in Kea'au is soooo bad? I'm also assuming that most of the parents in the eastside of Hawaii have never had any of their kids in the school system in Honolulu. I'm sure whatever Pahoa or Kea'au kids come up with, it's already been done by kids in Honolulu!

-----------

What about Mountain View? We're in escrow on a house in Fern Forest, and we're considering mt. view elementary for our kindergartner. Any thoughts on this school? Our daughter currently attends Pahoa Elementary and we haven't encountered any problems there, in fact, we find it's been much better than the Maui schools.

hope
hope
Hilo is more desirable because its got infrastructure,jobs,better schools and its a college town so it will be popular and sustainable for investors plus locals like it because they seem to like not having much of a work commute.But it is a bit congested,more expensive and more rainy than some parts of puna.

At the risk of sounding prejudiced (which I try not to be) I will tell you what I have been told (by locals) about Puna schools.It seems that Puna having mostly plantation families that do not value an education is the problem.
Elementary there are not to many discipline problems they are just sweet little babies anyway.Its the curriculum in that instance. I know that first hand when my son was an honor roll student the entire time he was in Keaau elementary,when he went to Keaau middle he became a failing student.So after the 1st semester I took him out and when I went to the various private schools they all tested him and said he was way behind their curriculum and had alot of catching up to do. Remember this is an honor roll student we are talking about according to keaau's standards. So he went (and still does) to Christian Liberty school who said they would help him catch up.So back to what happened at keaau middle.Kids from mountain view have to go to Keaau middle and its seems there is a big rivalry between mt. view and keaau this results in lots of fighting and a totally non academic atmosphere (I'm sure the age has a lot to do with it to) Basically its not considered cool to get good grades and at that age all they care about is fitting in.The teachers are frustrated because they do not get any support from the parents as this rivalry is accepted in the local community.
This has been my experience maybe (like some of the subdivision seem to)the schools have come a long way lately I am out of the public school loop and I don't want to subject my kids to being guinea pigs again.I know nothing about Oahu schools to compare.But its worth searching the topic on this forum as there have been lots of opinions on puna schools.Personally just because of the poor curriculum thing I would consider private school if its at all possible at least until high school.hope this helps Smile