Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Current lava flow info?
Has anyone been down to the road's end to see Madame Pele lately?

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
I'm no longer in the loop, but understand the flow is coming back to the Kalapana side.

Lava hotline: 961-8093
Kilauea lava daily update website

The county put out a call for bids and accepted a bid by JanguardHawaii to operate the concession. This saves the county a lot of money by not needing to use union public works employees at overtime rates. New bids will be accepted every six months, if any one is interested.
I already go to the website regularly, but was hoping for an eyewitness report.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Awwwww . . . Greg, you were such a good source of information that really helped me and some of my visitors have some special times. Thanks for doing as long as you did!

Cheers,
Jerry
Iceland is getting more than their share as is Europe it seems.

Carrie

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it." Galadriel - LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

The county put out a call for bids and accepted a bid by JanguardHawaii to operate the concession. This saves the county a lot of money by not needing to use union public works employees at overtime rates. New bids will be accepted every six months, if any one is interested.

I believe the county is paying over $500,000 for this contract. Emily Naeole-Beason had proposed that the County charge a nominal fee for parking to cover the County costs and if properly done, would have actually created revenue for the County. The County was to have considered this proposal but I guess they decided its better to pay out money instead of taking in money.
The County can never charge for admission to the area. That is part of the contract between the county and the property owners that own the area that the site is on.

I think the reason the county entered into this type of arrangement had to do with liability concerns. People are injured weekly at the viewing area and it would be very very expensive to make accessibility improvements. It would also be very expensive to charge admission and by context be responsible for a visitors broken leg or the accompanying "mental anguish" if you know what I mean.

Whoever told Emily that there could be an entrance fee was wrong.

I went last Sunday...was my first time to see an active lava flow. It was quite impressive. While the official Kilauea report from the USGS/Park is a good resource I've found that http://hawaiianlavadaily.blogspot.com/ is a good source of info presented in a way that is more relevant to my interests.
quote:
Originally posted by Greg

Whoever told Emily that there could be an entrance fee was wrong.

When did Emily ever feel compelled to get all her facts straight before embarking on an adventure?[Big Grin]
[url][/url]http://www.bigislandvideonews.com/2010/04/18/video-hawaii-island-lava-viewing-update/#more-441

Timely update from Big Island Video News.