Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trick or treat?
Where is a good place to bring the kids for trick or treat?

David
David
There's trunk or treat in HPP off Makuu/17th st? activity center to start out then ya head up to Keaau loop which is the subdivision behind Keaau middle school or you can start at the Prince Kuhio Mall (but thats a big crowd)
I hear its pretty good in Pahoa town around the ag workers apt.complex (the blue buildings behind pahoa pool) But i've never tried it.I wonder about Hawaiian shores and beaches maybe someone else will know about that.Be early (like 6pm or as soon as it starts to get dark)as most folks run out of candy after about an hour.
Every year Keaau elem. puts on a free festival with tons of candy and games etc..but that was last Friday and there is the Malamalama Medieval faire (which imho is the funnest event around) but that was last saturday just so your ready for next year.Smile

There is a banner at the entrance to Nanawale announcing the annual Halloween party at the longhouse.

I grew up in Hilo in the 70s. Even back then Halloween was much different from what it has become today. As a kid I went trick-or-treating completely unsupervised by adults and every house I went to had treats to offer. Times have changed. I've never had any kids come to my house since I've live in Puna for almost 10 years.

The Keaau Market Center is also having their Pumkin carving, pie baking, costume contests & merchant trick or treats, also.
Punamom, thanks for the heads up. This is our first year in 'Keaau Loop' (the street Keaau Loop is one subdivision below the subdivision below the middle school). Last year we closed just after Halloween, but last Halloween was soo rainy, so we couldn't get an idea if it was big here or not!
Aloha, Carey

I hear that, especially in rainy weather, families head for the Prince Kuhio Mall. The shops pass out treats and the kids get plenty of see and be seen. And it's safe and dry.

Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
The mall is always a good backup but it's SO packed, we're talking wall-to-wall people. Kind of overwhelming if your kids are small.

Another place to try near Pahoa is Tangerine Acres. Going towards Kapoho it's the first neighborhood on the right on Pahoa-Kapoho Rd after Pahoa intersection. Didn't go last year but went the year before. Lots of candy and people went all out with their decorations. Looks like it may be raining tonight, though...

Aloha,
Jody

Edited by - Jody on 10/31/2006 14:40:21
Keonepoko School is having a big party for the kids with games and candy...entrance to Hawaiian Shores/Beaches on Kahakai.

Carrie

"To be one, to be united is a great thing. But to respect the right to be different is maybe even greater." Bono
http://www.hellophoenix.com/art/dreamhawaii.Cfm
Carrie

http://www.carrierojo.etsy.com
http://www.vintageandvelvet.blogspot.com

"Freedom has a scent like the top of a newborn baby's head..." U2