Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BP Gas...
Does anyone know how to find out which gas stations have BP Gas on The Big Island?

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

...and did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?" PF
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
bp is not a Hawaii brand, so no bp (or subsidiary) gas station on Hawaii Island.

ETA: They changed from BP to bp over a decade ago, when they merged with Amoco
If you were thinking about boycotting BP stations to make some sort of point, it may do more harm. Almost all BP stations are owned by independent owners and they simply sell the brands (BP) fuels. You would probably end up hurting your neighbor who owns the station and his/her employees, who might also be your neighbors. (If BP actually sold their fuels here)
Thanks Carey, didn't know any of that.

We enjoy such a beautiful collection of wildlife and ecosystems here in Hawaii. I cannot imagine a more horrible event than what is going on in the Gulf right now. This will effect more than Gulf states as it heads up the eastern coast and beyond. The impact of this disaster on the sea and wetlands species is unbearable, let alone the livlihoods of the locals there.

Remember the Valdez? We thought THAT was horrible and they are STILL feeling the effects of that in Alaska.

I'm not attacking any one political party. This was caused by greed, stupidity and a lack of sensitivity for the earth and it's creatures. I'm just grateful for what we have here. There are certainly problems with overfishing, pollution, dying coral reef areas, etc. The people effected by the oil are getting slammed in one fell swoop. Hope the news gets better.

Carrie

...and did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?" PF
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
In the international oil spills, the Exxon Valdez was not that big (although it was the largest ship oil spill in the US, the Amoco Cadez in the late '70s was far worst (6th worse oil spill internationally.... and the impact on the Fresh fisheries is still present)

The current bp spill has reached the Cadez milestone & will probably overtake the worst Gulf of Mexico spill this summer, the Ixtoc, but probably will not reach the level of the worst oil spill, that will most likely remain from the Gulf War.....

For a reality check on oils spills:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36852827/ns/...vironment/

At this point, most everyone is intimately connected in the oil web.... even the computers we all are using are a part of the web.... this resource is truly so valuable, but so many of us have devalued it to the point where we think it should be normal to simply burn it away.

Think back just two years ago.... how many of us were complaining when gas prices peaked.... oil prices went down, but it is now so obvious were the cost cuts were made.... and the cost is on everyone who complained & those of us who returned to gas consumption as normal when the prices moderated....
In a recent conversation I mentioned how surprised I was at how fast people started buying SUV's and Big Pick-ups after the gas costs went so high. All the dealerships were getting trade-ins of trucks in exchange for smaller more fuel-efficient cars. No more. Humans become complacent very quickly and we forget easily. There may be another reminder soon.

Carrie

Carrie Rojo

Wouldn't make a difference to bp. As MD7000 said, your only hurting the station owner since bp would just sell to another company who needs it. Crude and base gasoline is commingled at the refinery and in the distribution process. In some places bp stations sells gasoline refined from crude from Exxon and in other areas Exxon gasoline could be mostly bp crude one week and Shell crude another. For what its worth, you can go to an American gas station, owned by an American company who has wells in the heart of the US, but the majority of the gasoline is refined from crude that came from Venezuela or Iran.
Thanks again, Bob. The way things are set up in this world brings me a feeling of helplessness sometimes. We think the way to show our disapproval or anger toward a company or politician is to boycott or write a letter, etc. Then I find out it doesn't matter what I (or we) think or feel 'cause they all have a way around it or they are too big for little people to make a difference.

Sometimes we vote for someone we think has all the makings of a real good guy who can make a difference in this crazy mixed-up country. But after awhile are led to believe that they were "chosen" or "hand picked" because of their persuasive, seemingly honest qualities. Who do we trust? Everyone's got a different shpeel regarding who or what path is the right one.

Tony reads huge political books like The Creature of Jekyll Island or some other really frightening history book that reveal facts about our forefathers' greed and motives that just knock me over. There are movies like Zeitgeist that are filled with scary and convincing images regarding the US and it's leaders. We're told about other countries' methods to handle their citizens, and that they are told only what their government wants them to know. Is that true with us too?

So tell me Bob and mdd7000, what can we do? Are we sheep?

[edited for grammar]

Carrie

Carrie Rojo

Sorry, but if you find Zeitgeist "convincing" then you really have to visit this website:
http://conspiracyscience.com/articles/zeitgeist/
It goes through the movie scene-by-scene debunking its laughable nonsense.

I never realized there was no bp in Hawaii!
Carrie, a lot of people are caught in this moment.

This is what you can do. It's not easy, but it's measurable and doable.

1) If you're concerned about the planet attempt to cut your expenditures to less than 10 tons CO2 emissions a year. You'll find that difficult, but not impossible.

2) If you're concerned about "sustainability" in terms of non-renewable oil, you need to figure you must cut your fossil fuel consumption at least 3 percent a year for the rest of your life to maintain your current lifestyle. How you do that is up to you.

To offset the flame war from the denial dogmatists I'm going to post a link from a hardcore, peacenik, love and squeezes organization who has done a lot of research on these issues. That's the Department of Defense. You can argue with them. You don't win wars by being in denial. It's worth a read. If anybody wants to argue, argue with this report. I think it cuts to the chase about page 25 or so. It is however, worth reading through, as it is very credible and pertinent in repercussions to Puna.

http://www.jfcom.mil/newslink/storyarchi...2010_o.pdf

Will any of this make any grand difference on a global scale? Hell no, it is far too late. But it will it prepare you for the inevitable result of the vast majority of people living in denial and not preparing at all? Sure. Time for heroism.

Going to be an interesting week in the markets. . .it's all coming home to roost.

There are indeed things we can do. We are not helpless. We are unwilling.

Again, don't pick apart my reasoning, tell me why the DOD is wrong if you disagree. If anyone would like to discuss why they know better than the DOD, well, I'm interested in their astute opinion, for sure.

Resist the temptation to shoot the messenger. This isn't about pessimism, this is about optimism. Pessimism is denial--or sociopathy. You can't handle reality so you make believe. And force others to do so also. Optimism is assuming that there are difficulties out there-- well, yes we can handle them. This is what I advocate. It will take real effort, but yes we can handle them. If we get jamming. And we've pissed away a year or so waffling.
http://sensiblesimplicity.lefora.com/