Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to find Mexican groceries on the Big Island?
Specifically dried chilies (ancho, etc) masa, tamale husks.

Just got back from visiting the mainland and have decided that if I want good Mexican food on the island I'll be cooking it myself. I love the what the Island has to offer but the Mexican food here leaves a lot to be desired. I've tried the "best" on the island per Punaweb but they don't compare to what I grew up with.

We're in Kona and Hilo often enough but the grocers up here in Waimea don't carry much. Online shops would be OK too but assumed not many ship foodstuffs to Hawaii though parcel services.

Thanks for any tips.
The fresh tortillas @ Costco are pretty good ... On the shelves right next to the cold room about hip level.

Try the NOH Hawaiian hot sauce for a good mix of both worlds.

aloha,
pog
Thanks, I'll give them a try.

I've gotten pretty good at making tortillas but they do take a little time so when I can find decent ones premade they are worth the timesavings.

The "Dollar Store" at the Kopiko Plaza below Long's has lots of Mexican things, I buy my ancho powder there. While in Kona, you might want to try "Tacos El Unico" inside the Kona Market Place just off Alii Drive, that's the best Mexican restaurant on the island. (It's real Mexican, so if you are used to Tex-Mex or Cal-Mex than you will be disappointed.)

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

If you are Hilo side, the tortillarilla in Shipman Park is good. It's the first left after you enter, first building on your left. Drive around back, park and go on in!

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
Thanks for the tip about Tacos El Unico. We did try it after it had been recommended on Punaweb. (probably by you)

Since that is the best on the island I decided I better try to learn my Mom's recipes. I found Tacos El Unico to be just passable.

My family is originally from Central Mexico so those are the flavors I grew up with and they are pretty different from Tex-Mex, or Cali-style; neither of which I care for.

For better or worse my mother is a fantastic old-school traditional Mexican cook so I realize now that I was spoiled by eating her food. Authentic Central Mexican cuisine is more savory spicy than is usually found in restaurants which usually just pile on the heat to show how "authentic" it is.

The Mexican food I've found on the island is surprisingly bland. Considering how spicy Asian food can be I'm surprised that the restaurants succeed selling what they offer.
These tortillas are always fresh.
quote:
Originally posted by pslamont

If you are Hilo side, the tortilla in Shipman Park is good. It's the first left after you enter, first building on your left. Drive around back, park and go on in!

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I have found dried mojave brand chiles at KTA, sometimes even including mullato, de arbol and pasilla chiles. They have corn husks for tamales and maseca for a better price than other places. Sometimes you can find cans of chipotles en adobo and fresh tomatillos. Aqui,lengua no hay - I think you'll have to do some home cooking to remember your abuelita's food. I made some mole last Thanksgiving from scratch and I swear you could taste every hour of work I put into it. (I keep hoping the corn in my garden will turn into huitlacoche.) If you find another source for good chiles etc., I'd love to know! Buena suerte!
Uluhe Design
Native Landscape Design
uluhedesign@yahoo.com
freestate,

why diden't you just move to Mexico?

The Lack

The Lack Toons
The Lack,

Let me guess, you support the Tea Party? I forgot that if you want home cooking one should "go back where you came from."

My parents are Mexican, I'm from Kansas and have never been to Mexico; but I'll be sure to not speak Spanish in public in case you may be in earshot.

Its so nice to live somewhere that doesn't have the racist ugliness of "the Mainland".

Keep the Aloha coming...