Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should I expect?
Hi Puna folks,

I am so excited “I just can’t hide it.” I’m getting ready to make the big move to Puna from Los Angeles in August 2010! We’re so sick of L.A. traffic, gangs, and drugs. We just closed on a plot in Orchidland (How is this area?, I heard nice). My husband’s going to build our dream home (small but very cute). I found the land on the internet and it looks so beautiful (and surprisingly cheap). Honestly I have only been to Puna once, during a trip to the Big island one year ago. Admittedly I didn’t stay long (a few days), but me and my husband loved it so much we decided to move there with our three kids. We want to raise them in a beautiful tropical paradise. We are the type that just go for it, but I wanted to ask a few questions.

How plentiful are construction jobs?
What would be the expected hourly pay for a framer or plasterer?
How are the schools? What is the best elementary school? Middle School?
What do the local kids enjoy doing for fun?
How are the restaurants?
Are there any bad parts of Puna?
How is the rain for everyday living?
How affordable is everything (food, clothing, utilities)?
Is gas cheap?
What is the best beach near Puna for sunbathing and surfing?
How welcoming is the community of newcomers?
Anything I should prepare for that newcomers rarely expect?

See ya soon!
So you bought without actually looking at the property and surrounding area?

As to the rest of you questions, I really don't know where to start.
Where to start? use the search function of this forum
Most of the questions have been answered, many times, on this forum.
Good luck!

ETA: Always wonder is this is a troll post when it mirrors sooo many of the posts, both recent & historic.... but just in case it isn't.... WELCOME
Carey:

My thought exactly re a possible troll. Maybe there still are people who would buy Florida swamp land, too.
Just in case, some basic thoughts about buying property anywhere.
1. See it, touch it, smell it, talk to other owners, check out the neighborhood and the neighbors.
2. If you are looking for a place to call home in the long term, visit the area, several times, in different seasons and weather conditions. Rent if you can, stay awhile. Get a feel for the neighborhood after you cease to be a starry eyed tourist. With hundreds or thousands of lots for sale on BI, buyers remorse can be expensive and time consuming. Better be at least 75% sure it's the place you want to be before parting with cash.
3. That said, if you really can't live anywhere else, come on down. I love this place, and it took me more than 20 years of visiting before I made the decision to build in Puna.
Cart before the horse?

When you find your piece of paradise, be sure to get good answers to all of your questions before investing more $$. Make sure that you are not throwing good money after bad. Use the search function to find hundreds of answers to your questions, but if you are depending on immediate employment, things will be probably be very difficult.

Good Luck, Dan

The laundry list of questions seems to have been developed with a knowledge of PW's archives of issues.

I also have noticed that the newbie has registered under three different ebullient names on the same date, each with a slightly different Yahoo email address. Unusual.

Punatheplacetobe
Punaonmyheart
SoExcitedIcantwait

But let's just assume the best.....
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Punatheplacetobe

Hi Puna folks,
We just closed on a plot in Orchidland

I got the plot part.But why did you do it in Orchidland?[Smile]

Whatever you assume,please
just ask a question first.
hahahaha
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/...troll3.jpg
I noticed this kind of possible troll activity at the end of April when first-time poster "Chris" wrote in rapid fashion for a week and then nothing since. That was the thread where the son was thinking of moving to Puna and Chris only wanted to hear from those who had left Puna and the reasons why. Then, a second thread was started the same day to redirect those who had comments and observations but didn't meet the narrow criteria for posting on the initial thread. Just seemed to be very unusual and controlling behavior for a newbie.
I will ask Punatheplacetobe to assume the best intentions from my response

How plentiful are construction jobs?

If you don't build it, they won't come! You must visualize yourself doing construction jobs on incredible houses at a high rate of pay. That's where the secret to success lies.

What would be the expected hourly pay for a framer or plasterer?

Visualize $50 an hour. If you don't, you might only get $8

How are the schools? What is the best elementary school? Middle School?

The President went to a Hawaii School. Nuff said.

What do the local kids enjoy doing for fun?

They like to engage mostly in colorful dances in praise to the Volcano Goddess and ukulele sing-a-longs. Even the highschoolers!

How are the restaurants?

The food is better than New Orleans!(We use less oil)

Are there any bad parts of Puna?

Puna is a living breathing thing. As such, it has armpits, nether crevices and chafed feet. Try to stay in the good parts of Puna. I think you will quickly find where those are. Orchidland is like the small of the back of Puna, right near the indentation.

How is the rain for everyday living?

Again, Puna is a living creature. Wetter is better. If you want dry, try Tempe. Bring papers.

How affordable is everything (food, clothing, utilities)?

Papaya -- 25 cent!; Clothing -- we don't have to wear no stinkin' clothing!; Utilities? Water, free, electricity, also free after a $50,000 downpayment

Is gas cheap?
Where you gonna, drive, fool? Vegas?

What is the best beach near Puna for sunbathing and surfing?

Closely held secret. You have to make friends with a guy with board shorts. Totally worth it. Afterwards, go to one our our famous restaurants (you have a choice of 4).

How welcoming is the community of newcomers?

The community has no say in it. The Volcano Goddess picks. It's kind of a lottery. She throws rocks at you if she hates you. She is beautiful. OMG! Love her! Love me some Volcano Goddess. Best Goddess ever and I'm not just sucking up! She's really hot!

Anything I should prepare for that newcomers rarely expect?

Drowning as molten lava is poured upon you. No one sees that coming.