Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the best ocean beach on the island?
I'm curious as to what people think is the best ocean beach on the island and why? I've been here awhile...but I'm not sure I've discovered all the beaches the Big Island has to offer. Doesn't matter what color the sand is...just so that it has "sand" and it's easy access....
If I told you, then it would be crowded
Hapuna Beach gets my vote.
Many may think this is totally off base & insane, but Hilo Bay Beachfront (aka Canoe Beach). It has a huge stretch of powder fine sand, nice drop off, relatively few toe grabbing rocks, gentle waves.....Perfect....

Except that the powder sand is black that causes dirty looking waves & most people have a conception of the water quality that I have yet to find evidence for (ask me in a year... The FIRST ever consistent long term baseline study, for the past year, is finishing up & a more intensive program is starting up next month!) There is no data to support the claims on poor water quality, just antidotal claims...but there has also NEVER been any baseline testing to prove of disprove the claims before the last couple of years...

The bay was listed years ago as an EPA 319 on VISUAL data only, no tests were ever to to verify the status of the water quality.... the way things are done here, no testing....no baseline, then you have to prove or disprove with very limited funding requests... it took a years to get funding , in part because no baseline data had been collected, ever, on the second largest harbor bay in the state!
Beach 69
Carey,
Visual observation would be "antidotal claims"?
Considering the species abundant waters about the whole of the Hawaiian islands; why is Hilo bay so limited in its species population... lack of corals, etc?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Multiple tsunamis tend to have that effect on coral reef ecosystems, the big waves basically scour out the basin of the Bay and sand was moved around which smother reefs too. Coral reefs grow back very slowly if at all.

All the junk from the sugar cane industry, which was dumped into the Bay for years, could easily have had an adverse effect on the diversity of sea life from which the Bay has not recovered, while not currently creating unhealthy conditions for humans who want to play in those waters. The break wall also has changed the ecosystem of the Bay. On the other hand most if not all of Hilo is on a public sewer system, which is not true for virtually all the rest of this island, so a lot less fecal material and bacteria (that are dangerous to humans) are getting into the Bay than some place like Wai Opae or Champagne Ponds, which still do have a great diversity of sea life. So diversity of sea life is not necessarily a good measure of safe water for people to swim, paddle, and sail in.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Punaluu must be considered. Waipio must rank near the top, but the road is a challenge.
Carol,
Note any differences on the opposing sides of the break with regard to the existance of coral surfacing (pink, etc coloration) on the rocks, etc?

E ho'a'o no i pau kuhihewa.
Kauna'oa .... For my taste, but there are others.

Carol, not true that all or most of Hilo is on sewer. Have been in escrow on several homes in Hilo and only one was on the system. Rest were cesspool. And Hilo has a lot of homes.