Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volcano Guest House - anyone with any views?
I have a friend and work colleague visiting the island later this month, and she asked me about the Volcano Guest House. I had to tell her I know nothing about it and so far no one I know knows anything about it either.

http://www.volcanoguesthouse.com/

Has anyone stayed there or know anyone that has? Is it a good place to stay? It's close to my favourite restaurant on the island, but that's really all I could tell her!

Thanks,
Tom
My husband and I stayed in one of the “Twins” in 2005, so I don’t have recent conditions. It was OK. It’s very damp up there so the cabin smelled a bit moldy. It was in October so it was a bit chilly at a few thousand feet elevation. Very mini kitchen. Best parts: the breakfast in the main house (not sure if it’s as extensive now), the quiet, and especially the hot tub. Lovely to have a warm soak under the stars.
Many thanks, Erlinda, I'll pass that on. It doesn't seem to be a place that's well known. I wonder if the coquis have got that far up the mountain by now? It may not be quite as quiet as it once was!

Tom
I'm the wrong person to ask! We've visited so often I don't really even notice coquis anymore--they're like background sounds now to me, like birds or the ocean. Good thing, huh? ;-)
No coquis in Volcano . . .ususally. So far it's too cold for them. But they do come up in plants and in wheel wells of cars. We have a team of coqui hunters who ferret them out when one is heard. I think last year they captured around 145 that had made their way to the village. The only noise I hear at night are the crickets.
Thanks, Mauka. I should have realised Volcano ought to be too cold for coquis as they went quiet during the coldest winter evenings here (down at the end of HPP). Then again, long ago, I thought the salt air around here would be unpleasant for them and I was very wrong about that!

Anyway, the only reason I asked about coquis was Erlinda's comment about the quiet and wondered if things had changed since 2005. Seems they haven't, which is good!

Tom
Also check to make sure it's open. It was closed earlier this year for extensive renovations.
never mind was thinking of the Volcano House in VNP.