Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal issues
I have been following with some interest a discussion on another thread (relating to land prices) about geothermal power. It raises some interesting questions.

Over the years, I have heard people in Puna criticize and try to limit geothermal for reasons ranging from hydrogen sulfide emissions to noise to encroachment on Hawaiian sacred lands. I guess I would like help to sort all this out.

How dangerous are the emissions at the usual levels procuced locally? Are they worse than burning the amount of oil that it would take to make the electicity? I have spent some time in the area around the geothermal plant and have not found noise obtrusive, but perhaps someone who lives there has a better basis for an opinion on that.

My own opinion is that the benifits probably outweigh the downside, but then I don't have to live next to it.

Cheers,
Jerry

The riddle i want to ask is why does the Sierra Club endorse it in California and does not on the Big Island? Same system.
The energy system may be the same, but the habitat may have been the issue. I haven't read the Sierra Club statement on it, was their opposition possibly about protecting the Wao Kele 'O Puna rainforest?