Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Residential WiFi LAN Printing Problem
Have a LAN comprising a small Cisco consumer WiFi router, a Cisco consumer 4 port switch remote from the router, a couple of PCs (Win/XP),a MACbook Pro and a Lexmark network printer.

All worked perfectly before the move. Reinstalled here changing only the wiring and the router which was a no-name DSL from Verizon in CA.

Now all continues to work, except that I can't print from the PCs. MAC printing works fine. PCs give "did not print" message with documents remaining on the print queue. Windows troubleshoot did not provide the answer.

I need some help (possibly a site visit in Leilani) for which I would be happy to pay for results. There are obviously subtleties here beyond my level of knowledge.

Comments and suggestions invited. Mahalo.

Rick Melzig
Rick Melzig
You will probably need someone to stop by your house. Do you know if the printer is set to a static IP? On the XP computers in your properties for the printers (Control Panel), under ports, is standard TCP/IP checked? If so, click configure port. What does it say in the "Printer name or IP address" box? If it has an IP address in the box check to see if the printer displays that address in it's settings (on the printer). If the computers display different addresses than the computers you can change the addresses in the printer ports on the computers to match. Another possible although not necessarily permanent fix you could uninstall and reinstall the printer on the XP computers. Chances are that would fix it when windows looks for the address during install. I set static IPs on my printers outside the range dynamically assigned by the router. Hopefully someone can better help you, But if not I will try. I'm thinking your new router assigned a new address to the printer and the printer ports on the XP computers are still looking for the old addresses. I don't know poop about macs. Did that make any sense?

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Call Jeff Gray of Netcom Enterprises. 982-8828 jeff.gray@netcomenterprises.com

"What? Me Worry?" - Alfred E. Newman
"Vote with your money!"
From my limited knowledge, it sounds like the PC's are still remembering the address of the old router, so I'd be inclined to uninstall and reinstall the printers through the control panel.