Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Large scale Puna windfarm?
Does anyone know of any large scale windfarms being planed for the Puna area? What is the status of the Southpoint facility?
How do you feel about large windfarms being developed on Molokai and Lana'i to supply power via cable to Oahu?
Windfarms are good. Why would we not like something that decreases the requirement for imported oil into our state? The windfarms are usually in large open places (well, DUH! That's where the wind is) and usually something like a cow pasture and the dairy cows don't seem to mind the wind turbines. The blades seem to turn pretty slowly on them, too, so birds are probably safe as well. What's not to like? They are kinda fun to watch, too.

"I like yard sales," he said. "All true survivalists like yard sales."
Kurt Wilson

Kurt Wilson
Have not heard of any wind farms planned for Puna.
Every reference I have seen has shown that there is not enough wind and I agree -- wind is irregular and not strong enough here.
In Ka`u and Kohala, where there are wind farms, the wind blows strong and steady.

James Weatherford, Ph.D.
15-1888 Hialoa
Hawaiian Paradise Park
I know there is at least 21 windmills on Maui between Kihei and Lahaina.They've been there for a while. Anyone know how they are working out? I've been to Maui quite a few times starting in 1980. But I haven't read about how much power they generate or how reliable they are. It would seem that these windmills are a win win situation. Unless people think they are majorly ugly.
jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
I was wondering about a tidal generator up past volcano. The surf is brutal down there against the rocks.
Mahalo for your reply Hotzcatz, I agree wind farms are good, excellent even,.....if placed in the correct location.

My concern with The Molokai/Lana'i project is that large areas of pristine and unspoiled areas, in my opinion some of the most beautiful in the state, will be developed to supply power to Oahu. I believe that Oahu's bad planning when it concerns energy use should be handled by Oahu. In other words, build it on Oahu. The only reason Molokai and Lana'i are being discussed is because of NIMBY (not in my back yard) attitudes on Oahu. Is the wind really a billion dollars (estimated costs of underwater transmission line to Oahu for taxpayers) better on Lanai than across the channel on Oahu?
The number of turbines mentioned for the Lanai project Birdmove is 200 to 400, a huge number.
Here is a link to a website www.friendsoflanai.org that has more
Detailed information than I can provide.

Mahalo James, all wind is irregular but any amount can produce storable energy. And the turbines and technology to store the enrgy seemed to have been improved dramatically in recent years.

Talofa
First, I like windmills. Especially compared to coal, oil, etc. But, as far as I know, bird strikes do happen on the blades, since modern blades are so thin and far apart, straight probability of a strike is low, but at operating speeds, some birds do get hit and killed. In my opinion, it's better than all the birds breathing pollution from a fossil fuel generating station.

Oahu should find a place for their own farm, the billion dollars could be better spent on additional generation capacity instead of transmission.
quote:
Originally posted by TrevorKane
Oahu should find a place for their own farm, the billion dollars could be better spent on additional generation capacity instead of transmission.

I believe they are building one right now in Kahuku. I have been watching them block the H1 Freeway as they transport the different parts from the port.

|---The Ka'u Web---||---The Kona Forum---||-----Da Kine Hosting-----|
| www.KauWeb.com || www.KonaForum.com || www.DaKineHosting.com |
quote:
Originally posted by Hotzcatz

Windfarms are good. Why would we not like something that decreases the requirement for imported oil into our state? The windfarms are usually in large open places (well, DUH! That's where the wind is) and usually something like a cow pasture and the dairy cows don't seem to mind the wind turbines. The blades seem to turn pretty slowly on them, too, so birds are probably safe as well. What's not to like? They are kinda fun to watch, too.

Kurt Wilson

The only real downside to wind farms that I can see is high maintenance which is also VERY expensive and the noise they generate. I wonder if the cows mind being kept awake at night? [Big Grin]

|---The Ka'u Web---||---The Kona Forum---||-----Da Kine Hosting-----|
| www.KauWeb.com || www.KonaForum.com || www.DaKineHosting.com |
Yes KonaDave, they are building a small one on Oahu but nothing on the scale of Lanai.
I realize wind farms are better than fossil fuels but does anyone care to comment on the locations that have been chosen for these projects? Mahalo TrevorKane for your comments.

Let me try the question this way; If the experts said the best wind in the state blows over the Puna rainforest should we then turn the rainforest into a developed massive wind farm? We must look to use all sources of sustainable energy, but we have to be sensitive to our future generations.