Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hearings on regulations re: conservation lands
from KAHEA.ORG

Next week, there will be a second round of hearings on a new, revised set of proposed changes. Hearings will be held on all islands... except again on L#257;na`i (What's up with that?!). Please attend if can!!

As you know, these regulations affect over 2 million acres of precious conservation lands--forests, beaches, reefs, mountains--and 50% of "ceded" lands in Hawai`i. (For more info and background, scroll down to read the last email we sent out on this issue in October.)

At KAHEA, we are still going through the new 155-page document and hope to have some "first thought" reactions out over the weekend, but we wanted to bring this to your attention immediately. (Apologies for the late notice!)

Here is a run-down of the upcoming hearings, all of which start at 5:30 pm:

* January 24, 2011 Waiehu, Maui - Paukukalo Community Center, 657 Kaumualii St.
* January 25, 2011 Hilo, Hawaii - Hawaii County Council Room, 25 Aupuni St.
* January 31, 2011 Kaunakakai, Molokai - Mitchell Pauole Center, 90 Ainoa St.
* February 1, 2011 Lihue, Kauai - Lihue Library, 4344 Hardy St.
* February 7, 2011 Kona, Hawaii Mayor's Conf. Room, 75-5706 Kuakini Hwy, Rm 103
* February 9, 2011 Honolulu, Oahu Kalanimoku Bldg., 1151 Punchbowl St., Rm 132

Here is the link to the current proposed changes: http://bit.ly/occl_round2. (All the blue text are the changes that were made since the last round of public hearings and comments.)

Here is a link to KAHEA's previous comments submitted on the earlier proposed changes to these regulations.

Please attend a hearing, and let us know if you have any questions or thoughts on what these new changes will mean for the health and future of our conservation lands.

Aloha `aina,
Marti Townsend, KAHEA: The Hawaiian-Environmental Alliance <kahea-alliance@hawaii.rr.com>
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
To try and get a grip on that big a document, how will it affect, lets say, the land to the north of Lighthouse rd in Kapoho? That is conservation land now, and the owners may never be able to build even a SFR without a lot of maneuvering if ever. Edited to add: Family owned parcels before it was deemed conservation land.

The regulations are a broad generalization which never fits any parcel completely.

Catherine Dumond
Blue Water Project Management 808 965-9261

Dakineworkers.com
I haven't had a chance to read the revised changes but I am so much more hopeful about DLNR and state conservation rules since the change in state administration and the appointment of William Aila Jr. as the director of DLNR. Gov. A could not have put a better person in charge of our state's land and natural resources!!!

The previously proposed changes were that GOP robot-Gov. Lingle's attempt to strip laws protecting and conserving Hawaii's natural resources so there would no longer be such laws inhibiting their full capitalistic exploitation, IMO. She really showed her true Karl Rovian colors in her 2nd term.

Hopefully, the revised changes are not so demented.
quote:
Originally posted by frankiestapleton

I haven't had a chance to read the revised changes but I am so much more hopeful about DLNR and state conservation rules since the change in state administration and the appointment of William Aila Jr. as the director of DLNR. Gov. A could not have put a better person in charge of our state's land and natural resources!!!

The previously proposed changes were that GOP robot-Gov. Lingle's attempt to strip laws protecting and conserving Hawaii's natural resources so there would no longer be such laws inhibiting their full capitalistic exploitation, IMO. She really showed her true Karl Rovian colors in her 2nd term.

Hopefully, the revised changes are not so demented.

Instead of making personal attacks, why not instead, list the changes that were being proposed and why you feel they would have been bad. Then, point out why you think the most recent changes being proposed are even better. You don't help your cause otherwise.
Rob,

This is an important issue, but haven't the time to read it all. Can you give a synopsis perhaps? Mahalo.
mdd7000:
Tell it to Rove about personal attacks.
FS is stating facts, however much you don't like them.
Huh? I wouldn't call FS's statements "facts". Opinions, for sure. What facts did FS state? What does anything that Karl Rove may or may not have done have anything to do with the proposed regulations? Nothing.
quote:
Originally posted by dakine

mdd7000 did you forget to take your meds again? FS may not fulfill your expectations but she makes a valuable contribution to the discussion none the less.

http://akamaidesign.com

If so, where are the facts that support the accusations? I would be interested in what regulations were being being proposed that were so "demented". Maybe that would help people make better decisions, right? What valuable contributions were made in the post?
The facts were very apparent in the two links Rob posted in the original communication from KAHEA. I just hadn't had time to read them both thoroughly at that point. And I was asking Rob for an opinion based on his work in the land management portion of the Puna CDP, in relation to possible proposed changes to DLNR rules that might have been spurred by the PCDP (for the good).

BTW, Rove brags about his philosophy and approach, which is to remove as many laws, rules and such things as conservation protections, etc. His words were he wanted to return the country to pre-New Deal times. You know, when the robber barons ran the country, like they're doing now. Except that in Hawaii we have elected a different idealogical mindset. And I am allowed to have opinions. And it's demented when you try to remove the conservation from conservation laws! Scold someone else...
I read then entire document and testified in Hilo.

One change that I disagreed with was allowing "Power Generation from Renewable Resources" on conservation land in the Protective Subzone. "The objective of this subzone is to protect valuable natural and cultural resources in designated areas such as restricted watersheds, marine, plant, and wildlife sanctuaries, significant historical, archaeological, geological and volcanological features and sites, and other designated unique areas." One of these latter areas is the NW Hawaiian Islands (except Midway). These are the most important ecologically and pristine of our lands, but the new regulation would allow "Hydroelectric, wind generation, ocean thermal energy conversion, wave, solar, geothermal, biomass, and other renewable power generation facilities", which includes "generation, conversion, and transmission facilities and access roads".

Now I am a big proponent of alternate and clean energy, but it seems to me that allowing development of these facilities on the most critical of our conservation lands is a totally inappropriate land use. Clearing of an area, including roads and transmission line corridors, will disturb the soil and bring in alien invasive weed seeds. This happened in the Wao Kele O Puna and the 3 mile long access road is now a corridor of strawberry guava and tibouchina, crowding out and killing the ohia and other native species.

Although the new rule mandates that such a project shall "minimize impacts", and requires a permit and management plan, there is no way to make it economically feasible to avoid all such negative impacts. Or maybe not feasible at all. Is it worth it to lose large tracts of our natural heritage on these special lands so that someone can leave all their lights burning in every room? Or to send power to Oahu? "Minimize" is not the same thing as "Totally avoid".

It is interesting that this regulatory addition does not even spell out what size of a facility would be allowed, or what percentage of a parcel could be used. Pin to pin on several hundred acres? Without written guidelines that would not be precluded.

I was not surprised that HELCO testified in favor of this. That sure raises red flags for me.

There are, however, other things in the plan that I am in total agreement with. And I testified accordingly. I suggest that if you care about our aina, you do so too. And submit your written testimony asap. Mahalo.