Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
car fees going up?
http://www.kitv.com/money/26627581/detail.html

looks like a very hefty hike indeed headed to the islands "big car" owners

from .75 to 1.75 per hundred lbs (a truck or standard car comes in a two tons or so) if the vehicle is less than 2 ton

2 ton and over goes to 2.00 a lb

Notice how the media is on the side of presenting this more favorably: Abercrombie Proposes Doubling Vehicle Weight Tax?

Last I checked going from .75 to 1.75 is significantly more than double. KITV, presented it this way on air as well.

David

Ninole Resident
Ninole Resident
I haven't read the bill only the KITV article, but it does seem strange. It's well over a 200% increase in the fee for owners of small vehicles.

http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Doing this will simply mean more vehicles with expired tags and no insurance for the driver, which means; time to double up on your own insurance coverage.
That's only the beginning. Wait until he announces the new property tax hikes to make up for falling property values of homes and businesses in the islands
I just got my renewal notice for one of my vehicles. There are two weight taxes listed on it. There is a city weight tax and a state weight tax. Both are for the same amount, $27.90 on mine. I think Abercrombie only can increase the state portion of the entire fee. So there would be no 200% increase in fees for owners of small or even large vehicles.
Front page article in todays (2/3/11) Tribune-Herald about the fee increases. The part that kills me is this:

“We have a big backlog of
highway improvements and filling
the potholes,” said House Transportation
Committee Chairman
Joe Souki, D-Waihee, Wailuku.
“If we want to maintain the highways,
we need to put money in the
highway funds. You get what you
pay for
.”
Money that’s supposed to be
set aside for road maintenance has
been taken by lawmakers
to help
balance the state’s general fund
budget in recent years, and now
highway funds need to be replenished,
Souki said.
############

Uh, we ALREADY paid for this thru our taxes, including the taxes we pay on fuel every time we fill up our vehicles. You stole the money for other purposes and now you saw WE must pay more to put the money back?

Too bad we don't have a Republican governor to say NO to these fools.

Joseph M. Souki
repsouki@Capitol.hawaii.gov
Phone 808-586-9444
Fax 808-586-9499

[url][/url]http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/session2011/members/house/housemembers.aspx

Above is link to all House members and their contact info.
edit: added above
Yeah but who are the lawmakers that supposedly took the money set aside for road maintenance and was this not during the term of the previous Republican governor?
on the bright side ....still a bargain by mainland standards - the roads better maintained also imho
quote:
Originally posted by bystander

Yeah but who are the lawmakers that supposedly took the money set aside for road maintenance and was this not during the term of the previous Republican governor?

A super majority of Democrats, who were able to override numerous vetoes from the prior governor.

The result will be increased food prices, which of course, will increase the amount of GET that you pay on the cost of the food. It is a double tax. Trucks will be paying hundreds more per truck, per year.