Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puu Oo woke up again this AM
Check out webcam. Haven't seen this much activity since October.
hot time in the old crater tonight!

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/POcam/
That "thing" with the eyes is still there............
Puna: Our roosters crow first
The "thing" has morphed due to the amount of lava pouring out of it. Looks like a melted "thing" now. Check the camera after dark, looks like it will be a good light show tonight. It already has visible lava streams and it isn't even dark yet.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Pu'u O'o has been pretty active, and now has active flows on the "low" side of the crater. If this keeps up lava will be flowing down and across the older flows inside the national park again. For the first time that I've seen, the TEB flows are visible from this webcam: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/TEcam/ It is about the 4th screen over that you can see the orange glow through the VOG.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The plume at the summit has stopped and the lava lake seems very high. I have never seen the plume disappear.
I don't know anything about how the volcano works but I wonder if, with the lava so high, it is stopping the degassing? Will that cause other problems if that is the case? Like an explosive release somewhere in the system?? Could be interesting!

Royall

series of earth (volcano) quakes yesterday too....

interesting indeed

"Forty-two earthquakes were strong enough to be located within Kilauea volcano - thirty-six were located within the upper east rift zone (most occurred between 8 and 11 am, were located between Puhimau and Pauahi Craters, and included a magnitude-3.8 quake at 8:30 am yesterday), four on south flank faults, and two immediately south and southwest of the summit caldera; measurements made yesterday on monitored cracks in the epicentral area showed no unusual movement; the ongoing seismicity within the upper east rift zone continues to be a concern"
Past 24 hours at the middle east rift zone vents: Within Pu`u `O`o Crater, the webcam recorded increasingly vigorous spattering from the east crater wall hole followed by a narrow lava flow down the crater wall and onto the crater floor by 7:20 am this morning, infrequent spattering from the cone on the northern portion of the crater floor, and continued effusion of lava flows from the cone near the western edge of the crater floor
Is there an area one can walk to from hwy 130 to see the lava up close?
Is there a place in daytime to go see lava close in kalapana right now?
Thanks.
hawaiideborah