Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dealing with injuries and pain
The recent thread about MMJ and pain makes me think it might be useful to talk about what therapies work for us in case of injuries, pain and other problems. Even though I've almost always sought traditional medical treatment for problems, our circumstances have changed in that we do not have medical insurance. This makes one think several times before incurring bills and seeking treatment.

About 1.5 years ago, having always been sort of interested in it, I started taking Tai Chi -- mostly for strength and a mind-body exercise program. Work-a-day world at the nursery interfered after about 4 months, and I dropped it. Last summer, our work at the nursery caused me to severely stress and injure my shoulder rotator cuff. Range of motion was highly restricted, and the pain was high. Comparing cost with PT, I looked at the healing aspects of Tai Chi and went back to class.

At first, I was unable to do even all of the initial Qigong exercises (pronounced kee-gong, flowing purposeful movements that support Tai Chi, but are not the "forms"), but I persisted. Within a month or two, range of motion was returning apace, and I was mostly pain-free. I'm now doing the full 2 hours of workout, including the Tai Chi form that I couldn't have possibly done in September. This is an ancient tradition, and well-known for its benefits to people of all ages. My thanks go to Sifu Peter Tam Hoy, and the classes at the HPP hui.

So, what are you using that works on your physical problems? I think this is a good topic to share our experiences, along with contact info on our favorite disciplines/teachers.

Jane
Tai Chi, yoga, weight lifting, aerobics are an important part of just staying healthy and fit and sane.

Also the more healthy you are the better your body can deal with problems. Diabetic conditions untreated for example can cause all sorts of unwanted ailments vs. just backing off of high glycemic index foods such as white flour, sugar, regular potatoes, etc.

Really depends on exact injury or illness. My slipped disc in my lower back responded to heavy duty pain killers followed with core body excercises where as my tennis elbow took a full 9 months to heal and best treatment was a heating pad and avoid heavy use of that arm. Some injuries or illnesses have no natural cure and medical intervention and surgery may be required. Best bet is to find a good doctor for your ailment and hang on to that doctor. When in doubt find a better doctor and always listen to your intuiton. If the doctor seems disinterested and distant and tired, time to find another doctor.
When I first bought a human glucosamine chondrotine MSM product for my daughter's dog, at their vet's recommendation, I started taking it too. I have osteoarthritis and fibromyalgia and have chronic pain. It took about six weeks, before I felt better. So after mindlessly taking it for three years, I thought I would stop because it was not needed. Ha, a few weeks later I realized I was wrong. It really makes a difference to me. Not entirely pain free, but so much better. I like the chewable kinds because I have difficulty swallowing. Not cheap to use the GNC chewies, but I used to buy chocolate for me and peanut butter for the dog.

Life goes on, with you or without you.
Peace and long life