Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to leave, what to bring
Aloha all, Do you have any sage advice on what to pack over and what to leave here. A charity group I work with is having a home garden and garage rummage sale and I thought I'd load them up with my not going to the Island stuff.

What do you think? What are you sorry you left behind. What did you take over that you could have done without. Any suggestions welcomed!

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Leave behind the mainland attitude, that is the most important thing!
Bring with you the respect to the Hawaiian nation, overall: you all will be living on their land. Aloha.
Good advice mekin, i moved here on Pahoa two weeks ago, and all brought was clothes and a very positive attitud, i am mexican, and as any other "haole" i am included in the term. However, hawaiians are giving me a good welcome ! We are visitors on their land and we must be respectfull of their culture and not try to change it, that's what local people i have talked to complain about. I am still knew and i have a lot to learn yet.

Goog luck on your move !

Aloha, Abby

Abby

Edited by - abby on 07/27/2005 20:58:43

Edited by - abby on 07/27/2005 20:59:06

Edited by - abby on 07/27/2005 21:00:42
Abby
Hi Mekin, Have you found your introduction, I looked thru the post and couldn't find it? Any astrology responses? Good luck!

We would be interested in what your experiences have been on bringing household articles from the mainland to the Big Island.

Do you have any sage advice on what to pack over and what to leave here.

What do you think? Are you sorry you left behind anything? What did you take over that you found out you didn't need anymore? Any suggestions welcomed! I am bringing all our gardening tools, all of them! Can wait to get started.

mella l

Edited by - Mella L on 08/06/2005 00:09:23
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
Mella,

When my wife and I were on the Island last May, we went to different Hardware stores. What I found out are the prices on the Island are very high compared to the mainland for quality tools. Also, if you intend to farm, personal or commercial, prices on the Island for quality equipment are significantly higher than the mainland.

Reading your posts on this form, I don’t think anyone needs to worry about your “Mainland Attitude”. That is if you ever really had one.

Good Luck!
David D

P.S: I almost said more than I should about pre-judging, but I did what David M suggested and thought about it, then decided: Don’t Go There!!!

David,

Thanks for the heads up re tools, that's really good to know! I was hoping to draw a response from people who have already made the move. I read a post on another forum not to bother to bring the sterling silver as people do not entertain that way.

I don't have any sterling, or fine linens and am a very casual entertainer, former gypsy type and was probably looking for advice as to whether I should pack the wool blankets and down sleeping bags, as we will be at 1900 foot level. Just common sense stuff I guess, but having never lived in the tropics or sub tropics I don't know what to bring. My husband lived on Oahu for many years but at sea level so he isn't sure what we might need.

Hopefully you and your family, Pam's family, and my family can be gardening/farming friends and can egg each other on heh! Who grows the largest watermelon, or pumpkin. Just kidding but I so look forward to growing 12 months of the year! Sending best of luck to you too. Mella and G

mella l

Edited by - Mella L on 08/06/2005 20:38:38
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
If you had a telescope would you bring it with you to the BI? What do you see in the night sky? Are there enough clear nights at the 1700 foot elevation to warrant bringing over a telescope? Mahalo for your knowledge of the night sky. Mella L

mella l
mella l
Art and Science
bytheSEA
I am a little bit higher and I am glad that I brought my parka and telescope,I have been here almost 1 year and there have not been alot of clear nights. But when you get one with your telescope you can not beleve the stars you can see.

Michelle in FF
Michelle in FF
bring some blankets, it gets chilly in the winter, we got down to around fifty a few times. in the evenings we put on sweats(after you've aclimated). the rest of the time it's shorts, slippers and tshirts. all the other clothes i brought including coats i've never worn.

Hi, mella,
Several long-time HI residents I know use flannel sheets year-round. You may prefer cotton in the summer. We also always use feather comforters, the light-weight ones. As for clothing--you'll be surprised how cold you will get in winter or during rain or at night after you acclimatize--so definitely bring the sweaters, sweatshirts and a coat for going to the volcanoes. UGGs work well in HI, too. You won't need as much cold weather stuff as in CA--so don't over-do it. I think I would bring as little as possible or even consider storing stuff I thought I absolutely HAD to have, spend a year and then rethink even that. Of course, if you have sentimental items, you will want to bring them. Do you have any place you can leave your stuff on the Mainland? Like with trusted friends or family? I've always started pretty much from scratch whenever I go to HI--I like the feeling of not being burdened by a bunch of 'stuff.' Also, I dress totally different in HI--so I have Mainland clothes and da kine clothes, and the twain seldom meet.

Aloha,

april
april