Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mold on Leather
I have a leather jacket that has mold growing on it. We come from a much dryer climate and I am not used to this. Does anyone know how you can prevent mold from growing on leather and how to clean it?
Mahalo in advance!

We have electric warming bars in our closet which has kept most things mold-free. You can get them at the Ace in Kea'au. Not sure what their real name is but they are wall-mounted white bars that give off a small amount of heat.

When stuff gets moldy, I just wipe it with a damp cloth and air it out for a while.

Robin

Someone told me that it was impractical to have cloth seats on a car in Hawaii, and that leather was the only way to go. Now I wonder!

I will check into the warming bars. Thanks. It seem that leather soaks up the moisture and gets moldy. I have noticed a tiny bit of mold on other clothes but I just wash and dry them then spray the closet with lysol. That seems to work for the clothes but the mold grows back quickly on leather.

Robin, what kind of wattage do the heater bars pull? Are they meter spinner? I wired in a switched circuit in our closet for just that purpose but have yet to buy any.

Royall

What goes around comes around!

Royall.

I'm not sure how much wattage they pull. They came with the house.
I don't think it's much though. The heat they put off is fairly low, but constant.
We have one long one (4 ft) in the bedroom closet and a shorter one under the kitchen sink. They keep things dry and un-moldy.

Robin

I lost a killer pair of timberland boots to some funky black mold. It ate the leather and ground it up like a piece chewed fat. Crazy!
If you guys are talking about "golden rods" they draw about the same power as a 60W bulb. In fact if you want to cheap it install a 60W bulb, it should be enough heat to push out moisture just be sure its mounted away from flamable articles. Its the same principal used to keep welding rods fresh.

Has anyone ever tried just putting their leather jackets in those giant ziplock bags and keeping them their until they are needed. Wouldn't that keep the moisture out? We have just moved into Leilani and are trying to figure out the best way to deal with the dampness and how it effects certain things.

Aloha,
Paula
PunaPaula
No ziplock bags hold the moisture in.