Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELCO estimated meter readings
When I opened my latest bill I was concerned that it was almost twice the KWH that is normal for when we are away. The usual is around 55KWH and this was for 90. I called my cousin in Kapoho to ask her to go by and see if the neighbors had plugged into the garage or something. She said her bill was way out of whack as well. After doing some digging around I found that due to the strike HELCO used estimates for 20,000 customers. The estimates were based on 12 mo. ave. so it would include the months when we are at the house. I assume it will even out next month when they actually read the meter.
Any one else have this happen?
Mine spike also. They had been going down a bit each month but then this spike. Hope it goes back down next month!

Royall

Thanks Jon,
I couldn't understand why mine went up 25%. I was home the day the meter reader would have come and she didn't, so you've explained the mystery. Sure hope I get a break next month.
Well they estimated mine....but this time they were really low. I was expecting a $400.00 electric bill and they estimated it at $250.00. Obviously they didn't know we had company from the mainland staying at our place for 3 weeks using air conditioners day and night!!! I guess I'll see it on my bill next month
The media reports last week stated that HELCO averaged the bills over 24 months. This has raised a lot of peoples ire, and was covered in both island main daily papers.

Trib Herald story on the customer ire on this issue:
http://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com/arti...ocal04.txt
and the West Hawaii Today story:
http://www.westhawaiitoday.com/sections/...r-ire.html
quote:
Originally posted by JonP

When I opened my latest bill I was concerned that it was almost twice the KWH that is normal for when we are away. The usual is around 55KWH and this was for 90. I called my cousin in Kapoho to ask her to go by and see if the neighbors had plugged into the garage or something. She said her bill was way out of whack as well. After doing some digging around I found that due to the strike HELCO used estimates for 20,000 customers. The estimates were based on 12 mo. ave. so it would include the months when we are at the house. I assume it will even out next month when they actually read the meter.
Any one else have this happen?

What was your bill dated? We saw the meter reader guy here in Kapoho on the 15th this month. Our bill last month was higher than normal.
The strike was March 4-11.
The bill indicates that the meter reading for THIS month was on 03/10/11. Obviously it wasn't.
have them install a turtle, no need read meter anymore
this month I just may make an estimated payment - grin