Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Akaka Falls State Park
I just had an experience at Akaha Falls State park that really made me mad. They are now charging for parking. Not just in the designated parking area....but anywhere along the entrance to the park. It's now $5.00 to park at Akaha Falls. And that includes handicap parking!! And today they even had a tow truck towing someone who didn't pay!! My question is...When did this happen? I don't think Akaha Falls is worth $5.00 to see. I'll go next time to Rainbow falls
Think about why they might have done this, and the benefit for those that pay the parking.

Any ideas coming to you? Seen any shattered glass on the ground?
And it's only paid parking for non-Hawaii residents...Flash your drivers license and it's free. My only complaint is that it's pretty disorganized (or it was last month when I was there...). There was an attendant standing by the money machine running credit cards and taking cash, but there was no receipt and no way to identify who had paid and who didn't. They waived my $5 parking fee because I'm a resident, but they charged my 2 houseguests $1 apiece, which seemed odd to me. Maybe they've changed procedures since then.
It's park of a decision to get visitor fee money to support state parks. The other parks I know of that charge now are Nu'uanu Pali and Diamond Head on Oahu, Iao Valley on Maui. Hapuna, Makena, and Haena are on the slate.

The $1 is the non-resident walk-in fee.

Here's some info from the Parks people:

“Fees paid by our commercial and out-of-state visitors to high traffic parks, will help offset the shortfalls currently facing the state parks budget,” Dan Quinn, State Parks administrator. He said the fees will help to generate new sources of income to help the parks system gain more self-sufficiency.

In the fall of 2009, the Hawai’i Business Roundtable asked residents their opinion on measures to either increase taxes, or reduce services in order to keep state parks open. The most popular opinion, favored by 58%, was to charge entrance or parking fees, but exempt residents.

The Board of Land and Natural Resources authorized the implementation of either parking fees or entry fees, but not both at the same location. The Parks department then identified parks with a high volume of non-resident traffic, and organized informational meetings

the Division of State Parks to set either parking fees or entry fees (but not both at the same location) at specific state park locations across the state. The Parks division identified parks with high volume non-resident traffic to implement either parking or entry fees. Other parks on the list for future discussion include Hapuna on the Big Island, Ha’ena on Kaua’i, and Makena on Maui.

http://mauinow.com/2010/12/16/new-non-re...aka-falls/

Oh. Sorry. They should charge Hawaii residents $50.
$50? To keep out the glass shattering petty thieves? Annual pass? ???
Peace and long life
It is free for Hawaii residents....but only Big Island residents...not anyone living in the rest of the state. And the same thing will happen to us when we visit Oahu or Maui or Kauai!If you go there with friends who live elsewhere...it's a dollar a head for each friend. I wonder how they will enforce it if they put Hapuna beach in that catagory? Especially for the $1 walk in entry fee!
REALLY??? It's a beautiful walk and I can spend $5 on a Starbucks easy. We live in a place that many will never get the chance to see. We have so much abundance here...I don't ANY reason to complain. Just sayin'. You can flash anger at me for this, but really??? Parking at the airport is more than that! Tony just took his cousin and her three girls to Akaka. He was free and they each paid $1. ONE dollar. Give it a rest.
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
If $5 parking fee includes security and upkeep of the park that's a really cheap fee for a side trip. They just did a reconstruction of the trails and hand ralings so money is needed to recover that cost.
With the economy as it is and the revenues decreased its likely allot of states will start charging fees or alternately some parks might get closed altogether or limited days. Don't be mad BTW if Rainbow Falls goes the same way.

If you compare to a private park like Hawaiin Tropical Botanical Gardens at $15 per adult then it seems equitable. You have to pay someone to pick up the trash, do the gardening, etc. if the taxes aren't covering the current costs.
Many states, not to mention the Feds, charge admission fees for parks, recreation areas, and scenic attractions. Most also provide discounts via annual passes, senior/school discounts, or resident exemptions. With Hawaii's budget in the state it's in, I'm surprised this practice is not more extensive here. Such fees are often called "user fees" since those who use the facilities pay for them. I wish it could all be free for everyone, but it's still usually a good deal.