Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Water quality in Kapoho Vacationland
Here is a fact.

http://www.co.hawaii.hi.us/databook_curr...5/5.13.pdf

Page down until you come to Vacationland.The water here is cleaner than most beaches in Hawaii county.Sorry it is old data but the county is a little slow.

Here is the most current test from the state.

http://emdweb.doh.hawaii.gov/CleanWaterBranch/WaterQualityData/Selection.aspx?SampleNo=CF04041102&Sampler=Clifford%20Furukado&Identifier=001142&Island=Hawaii-Hilo&Date=4/4/2011

The water down here is tested by both the county and state on a weekly basis.

Dr. Tracy N. Wiegner is doing a long term study down here and her preliminary results show that the water in the tide pools is being affected by freshwater infiltration from uphill ag land.

http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/~wiegner/

Obie, the subject of water quality in Kapoho has been constant for a number of years. What may be happening is people hear about issues at the Champagne Pond (and the issues are there) and that subject gets commingled with Kapoho Vacationland's tide pools. Saying that there is still concern that there are no toilet facilities at the Vacationland tide pools and people do wonder what that might mean.

The testing data is useful... but unlikely to end the discussion on water quality in "Kapoho". There are more than one Kapoho.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Here is one possible explanation.

[Big Grin]
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker...Saying that there is still concern that there are no toilet facilities at the Vacationland tide pools and people do wonder what that might mean.

The testing data is useful... but unlikely to end the discussion on water quality in "Kapoho". There are more than one Kapoho.

There is also a very strong NW program that definitely says something to the people caught peeing and pooping, and bringing dogs out. There is a tide pool information officer also doing a great job to inform people. The community itself has done a great job to police the issues. The cesspools are being eliminated one by one in Vacationland. The water meter is now tied to installation of an upgraded waste water system.

There are numerous other things being done by the residents and property owners to make Kapoho even more special place, like keeping silent about the whale as long as possible so the gawkers didnt come down and leave their trash and pee.

I would ask one favor - if you choose to make a comment about Kapoho Vacationland Waiopae Tide pools, here or on any other forum, please use current data not older than 12-18 mo and it is available.
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

Obie, the subject of water quality in Kapoho has been constant for a number of years. What may be happening is people hear about issues at the Champagne Pond (and the issues are there) and that subject gets commingled with Kapoho Vacationland's tide pools. Saying that there is still concern that there are no toilet facilities at the Vacationland tide pools and people do wonder what that might mean.

Ok, I changed the topic.There are no public toilet facilities because this is a private residential community.Should we be required to provide Lua's for the public? Who is going to pay for them?

We are doing our best to make this a nice place for the public to visit and for tourists to spend their vacations.There is only so much a small community( less than 200 owners)can do.

Our private water association is requiring septic upgrades whenever a property changes hands.Properties near ponds are required to have aerobic systems as per Department of Health standards.Many owners have upgraded their systems on their own.All of the new homes have upgraded systems.
I am not sure which Kapoho you are referring to.

Punaweb moderator
Thanks Cat.

I provided a link if the moderator doesn't remove it.

http://emdweb.doh.hawaii.gov/CleanWaterB...ier=001142

I was asking Obie. I know you are in Vacationland Cat. Obie made no distinction which may actually be a common source of the problem.

Punaweb moderator
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Tucker

I was asking Obie. I know you are in Vacationland Cat. Obie made no distinction which may actually be a common source of the problem.

I mentioned in a previous post that I changed the topic to Kapoho Vacationland.
I guess I was a step behind either of you or I type slower.