Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Curlee's in HPP
Just went to the safety inspection station on 28th in HPP for my sticker and he told me that he couldn’t clear my truck because he could smell my brakes burning (as could I, I just didn’t know what it was). He said something about frozen front calipers? Anyway, he referred me to Curlee’s on Paradise at 19th and I am wondering if anyone has any feedback to offer about Curlee’s before I make an appointment. I’d prefer to stay in the park and close to home if at all possible due to the burning brake problem but thought it best to check in here first. Thanks in advance for any info.

blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
Aloha,
We always take our car to George and Sherlene, owners of Curlee's. We have never had any problems with them. They will even shuttle you to your home, while your car is being worked on. Now, that's service. Highly recommend their service.
A coworker stopped in with concern about her brakes. Not only did these guys fix them on the spot (because her car really was unsafe to drive), they did so for 1/2 the price another mechanic in Puna had quoted her. We sent her there because of some good work they had done for us in the past.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Sticker aside, buyer beware, brakes are the biggest ( IMHO ) most hyped, method unscrupulous mechanics use to sucker people in. Talk to friends, look up your car on the internet, get second opinions from other shops. ... Educate yourself before going in and pulling out your checkbook.
A friend of mine who knows a thing or two about cars went to Curlees to have some work done on his car. It was a couple of years ago so I don't remember all the fine points, but sufffice to say Curlee's tried to charge him for time and parts on something he had just changed himself (I think it was brake pads).

I asked my friend later where he took his car thinking he changed mechanics after that bad experience. He said he still goes to Curlees and everything's all good after he made it clear they couldn't take advantage of him.

Glad to hear from others that they like Curlees.
Have gone to Curlee's on two different occasions and have been totally satisfied. When a local dealer quoted me a very high price to replace some parts on my truck I went to Curlee's for a second opinion and it was half the price plus I added in a tune up. Now I go no other place and have been totally satisfied. Plus I have enjoyed my conversations with the very friendly staff. Highly recommend!!!

ALOHA http://myhawaiipardise.blogspot.com/
Aliismc,
You mentioned a tune up, what did that entail?
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Sounds like the pros far outweigh the cons, so very good to know. Believe I'll call Curlee's today. Thanks Punawebbers for your help. Aloha!

blessed are the cracked for they let in the light
I don't know how I got over the hill without getting to the top.
I have used Stan's Fast Lube in Hilo for years.
He is certified for state car inspections and does oil, lube and brakes.
He has been good, reliable and honest.

I have never used Curleys.

Others have used Nick's Garage in Hilo and say he is good. I plan to check him out sometime.

If you have a good resource son't be greedy: give him/her some more business and refer punaweb members if you have a good resource. that is the spirit of punaweb, to share good resources.
Hi Lyn W

Where on 28th st is that inspection station? I am on 15th and have been going all the way to mt view.

Mac nut