Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gardening in Puna
How many of you would be interested in a forum here about gardening in Puna?

Yes, I would be very interested. Val (Iju) and I are corresponding off list. I am trying to learn all I can to minimize the mistakes I make when we retire. Summer in Louisiana is hotter and just as wet as much of Puna, so I might actually be able to contribute a little.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Count me in. I love gardening. Am especially interested in learning how to grow my own vegetables and in becoming as self-sustaining as possible.

YES YES YES gardening is my passion!

Rob wanted to see how many would be interested....so everyone who is, speak up! Thanks everyone so far!

A big YES for me! I'm retired and spend alot of my time working on my garden with varying degrees of success and alot of failures.

Count me in for Gardening. It think it would be very valuable. We all have sooooo very much to share and this is a big area for growing. There are so many nuances.

By the way I have a lot of nicely sprouted baby red TI if anyone wants any.... and we are experimenting quite successfully with growing hydroponic lettuce.

Gardening forum.. Wooo Hooo...l Rob, get it up here! Yay!

Just another day in P A R A D I S E !!
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
This would be great,count us in too !

Count me in too. I don't have a place on the Big Island yet but am working on it. We had a family friend in Volcano (at my kids' house) give us a lesson on permaculture. In early January we prepared an area near the nearest door to the kitchen for agarden. The grassy area was first covered with cardboard, this was watered, then a layer of green matter (ginger leaves)on top of the cardboard, then a layer of brown matter on top of all this. Water it all again. This is supposed to all decompose into nice garden soil with lots of nice worms. I think it takes about six weeks to decompose.

I have pictures of the entire process if anyone is interested and perhaps I might be able to give a periodic account.

Rose C
Rose C
Me too.