Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lava Ocean Adventures aboard the LavaKat
Aloha,

I would like to inform the Punaweb viewers of an alternative to walking or flying to see red hot lava. Its a great way to relax with friends and family while viewing Peles amazing sights.

Over the past 20 years tour my father and I have enjoyed taking friends and family too see the very exciting rare occurrence of lava meeting the sea. It actually started out as a weekly fishing trip (our boat has the current state record for the ONO(Wahoo) at 133lbs.) with my father with the added bonus of seeing the amazing molten lava pouring into the ocean. During the 20 years we have ventured to the lava ocean entry at all times of the day and in all type of sea conditions, this said we do our best to provide you with the best possible viewing experience. Recently we took out a couple local helicopter pilots who fly over the flow daily, they were very impressed since they only get to see the lava from 500feet above do to flying regulations. Many of our customers tell us that this was the most amazing thing they ever done or seen. Well I could sit here and talk lava all day but Ill save it for our trip.
We will be running sunrise, afternoon, fishing, and sunset trips weather permitting so email or call us for information or to book a trip. . Give us a call we look forward to taking you to see Pele's Rivers of Fire.

--
Shane Turpin
Lava Ocean Adventures
808-990-0553
Shane@lavaocean.com

Shane, Punaweb is supposedly not for advertising. In addition, there is a fairly extensive thread about your questionable business on the national forum of TripAdvisor.com and an even more questionable video clip on YouTube.com.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185

Edited by - John S. Rabi on 02/09/2007 07:27:57
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

aloha all,

aloha shane! this is brad holahan. i worked with eddie last year, and know your mom and dad well. i was fortunate enough to enjoy a day of fishing with your dad near the lava flow. regardless of the "danger," inherent in viewing the lava up close, i must agree that it is HANDS-DOWN the greatest experience i have had anywhere in hawaii, if not one of the greatest in my life! i have been all around almost every island in hawai'i, and have NEVER experienced anything close to this. we got within 15 feet of the shoreline (which i doubt you guys do on your tour) but the sounds of the crackling rock underwater, the exploding glass "showers" of volcanic material as it hits the water, the twirling, swirling clouds of sulphur moving across the water, the temperature of the ocean itself, and of course, the beautiful molten lava pouring into the ocean, in one word "unbelievable!" i'm sure as john pointed out, that there are concerns with any such event, however, as everything in life, it is a balance between reward and risk. this tour has an element of risk and danger, but like anything in life, sometimes one must take a chance, to experience something truly awe-inspiring.

sorry john, but we only live once, and speaking first-hand, this experience is without equal in hawai'i....

good luck shane, aloha to your mom and dad from the holahan's!

malama pono,

holahan

:?)

does the local USCG know about this thing

Problem is it is outrageously expensive, $500 for a rough boat ride, and dangerous lava viewing, why not take a quick helicopter for maybe even less or the same.

aloha all,

lew, didn't know what the cost was, but the experience is much different on the water from the boat, with the smells, sounds, activity and so on. don't think you get that from the air, but i'm sure that it has it's pluses as well....

speaking from experience though, the element of danger was small in comparison to the memorable experience. my father-in-law was on the boat with us. he had never been to hawai'i, and after the lava trip, stated that the entire cost of the vacation was worth it, due to that lava experience alone.

i felt very fortunate to see the volcano and lava so close. i doubt very few people in the world get to experience such things first-hand, along the lines of an astronaut viewing the beauty of our world....

just my input, but for the young-at-heart and adverturesome travelers out there, its well worth it in my mind....

aloha all,

:?)

Please don't take a quick helicopter ride. It infringes on the privacy of the Puna residents. Sometimes I go to Puna on the weekends to get some rest and there are helicopters flying directly above my lot every 15 minutes. It wouldn't be so bad if it occured once a day but every 15 minutes? This is Hawaiian Acres.

I hope the "LavaKat" hasn't used up any of its nine lives!

Momi - that might be Green Harvest helios. I used to live up there and they were over often although the tourist ones used my friends bright blue roof as a turn marker (about 7 & E) until she painted F***Y** on the roof! Not suggestion with most aloha but worked for her.

Shane, although I agree with John that this forum is not for advertising, you might post in the non-classifieds or support Puna Web with an ad.

That said, John, I am surprised at you! After you have suffered many attacks here with gross generalizations, is it possible that the same person posted the You tube and Trip advisor because they were unhappy for whatever reason? Or have they gotten a whole ton of complaints from many people? I live right near where they leave from and havent heard bad press.

Edited by - kapohocat on 02/08/2007 12:55:59

Edited by - kapohocat on 02/08/2007 12:57:16
Cat, you are right, I probably should have phrased my posting differently. All that said, the thread on TA is by at least 10 different people. I don't think a caring Captain should let his clients jump into the water and swim with floating hot lava pieces. I also don't think a caring Captain respecting Hawaiian culture and tradition should pick out floating lava pieces from the ocean and break them up on the boat to show the red lava inside. I also wonder what insurance company would insure a high-risk business like this.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, ABR,CM,CRB,FHS,PB
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
75-5870 Walua Road, Suite 101
Kailua-Kona, HI 96740
(808)327-3185
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html