Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Macy's
My SO is going to Macy's for the interview next week -basic sales rep. At least one of us needs medical insurance.
What are the chances to get full time job in retail around here if college years are long gone and not much experience?
As I used to hear in the South: "There are fourteen ways to find out."
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Macy's has a lot of on call workers and hire for this type of work often.I heard it's about $8/h.
I worked as a temp for Macy's on the mainland one Christmas season, and my daughter worked for them for several years. At the national corporate level the main idea is 2 words: customer service. At the store level it is all about efficiency, willingness to constantly be doing something productive, and ability to learn the cash register system. Part of my group interview experience consisted of hitting the floor and straightening up an area, they were looking for people who knew what an inviting retail environment should look like. Reliability is vital as well.

Judging from both my experience, and my daughter's experience, they are a reasonable company to work for, everything is spelled out clearly as policy, and you know exactly what it takes to move up in the system. They do expect you to be available to work any shift they are open and there is a lot of pressure to up sell. I am sure there is a bit of a Hilo twist to all this too.

Tell your wife good luck!

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Thanks,cgray.It looks like on call only and 20 hours /insurance not guaranteed.May be better luck with Wallymart.
Macy does start almost everyone in the on call pool, if they like you they will hire you on; usually people who make it through the holiday retail madness with a good track record get hired.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb