Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Green Sand Beach
Has anyone been to Green Sand Beach lately? Can you still drive to it if you have 4WD? And someone told me there was 2 routes....one is the place where everyone parks and walks (the inland route)....the other is at the end of the road and along the coast. Which way is easier on your vehicle?
Drive it all the way from end of South Point road (Boat Ramp) with 4wd if you wish. Hikers park at the boat ramp and walk the couple miles. Some of the 4X4 roads hug the coast line, some are a little higher up the slope near the fenced pasture. Sections of the road can get pretty nasty.
Ok.Thanks. The last time I took the fenced pasture route I almost got stuck in a ravine type cut in the land...as that was the only way to get to the beach. Was hoping for something a little less treacherous....
Just note that DLNR no longer permits anyone to drive there, only hiking in is permitted. Needless to say it does not stop most of the people driving there but if they have a DLNR officer at the site than you could be in trouble.

Aloha,
John S. Rabi, GM,PB,ABR,CRB,CM,FHS
johnrabi@johnrabi.com
http://www.JohnRabi.com
Typically Tropical Properties
"The Next Level of Service!"
(This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors http://KonaBoardOfRealtors.info)
This is what I think of the Kona Board of Realtors: http://www.nsm88.org/aboutus.html

Just got back. The place was packed with 4wd trucks
Yea, only dumbasses like me hike from South Point to Green Sands Beach. the first time...
quote:
Originally posted by dwedeking

Yea, only dumbasses like me hike from South Point to Green Sands Beach. the first time...

At least you've been there. I've been on island for almost 6 years now, and have never been there![V]

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

First time for me I hiked it because I'm a hiker, explorer and beachcomber. Now I can add dumbass to my resume.

Every time I drive that area I seem to lose parts of my truck. Mud flap, inside plastic wheel paneling, etc no matter how careful I drive. After 4 trips down there this year its definitely time for a wheel alignment job. The 2006 Tacoma doesn't have as good clearance as my 2002 which was stolen, but good clearance helps to avoid some of those nasty outcrops. If you want a much worse workout for your 4WD, try going to Manuka.
Anyone try driving down to Ka'alu'alu Bay and hike in from the North?
We go by the crowded green sand beach every other month. Always drive it in 4wd Jeep. Never had problems. We approach it from South Point and stop to look at the crowds of people at the first Green Sand beach. We just keep going to the other green sand beaches where there are no people. We camp every time and drive out coastal rutted road and just keep going. takes hours, but well worth getting away from the people.
DLNR officer down at Kamilo this time. They said nothing about us using roads or camping. They just chatted and were really nice. so if there is some type of restriction, the DLNR aren't even mentioning it.
hawaiideborah