Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puu Oo is collapsing!
Just checked webcam. It's falling in fast!

Looks like new vent opening on west flank. See lots of new smoke in west side camera. It's close to the camera, very close.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/
Crap! Where did it all go to??? This is a big letdown as I was hoping for some good flows to the coast!

Just looked at the west viewing camera and it appears that there is something burning down in the lower left of the photo. Maybe there is a puka that opened up! We need a good fountain for entertainment tonight!!

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

That's what I'm thinking. Just like March. Crater collapses like a flan in a cupboard, and vent opens up on the flank.

Update, East looking West cam shows big plume of smoke that's not in the crater.
I enlarged the main photo of Pu'u O'o and if you look at the extreme lower right of that picture, it appear the outer wall of the crater has collapsed and possibly let the lava run out on to the surrounding area. Hard to tell for sure.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

quote:
Originally posted by dobanion

That's what I'm thinking. Just like March. Crater collapses like a flan in a cupboard, and vent opens up on the flank.

Update, East looking West cam shows big plume of smoke that's not in the crater.

Wow! that's huge! Wish I was in a helicopter right now!! With all the weight of all that magma in the crater, I'm surprised it took this long to do something "dramatic"!

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

just looked at the east camera and all the black smoke and in the frame was a BIG chunk of something flying through the air on a downward arc. If I had to hazard a guess on size, I'd say it was a VW bug!! Well, after watching for a frame update, it appears to be a speck on the the camera lens LOL!! The rest is spectacular though!

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Smoke is clearing... good thing they moved the overlook rim camera back... it is right on the edge of the new rim!
Looks like a nice sunny day with nothing going on right now.
HAWAI'I ISLAND, Hawaii - At 2:05 p.m., HST, this afternoon, the USGS Hawaiian Volcano Observatory (HVO) monitoring network detected the onset of rapid deflation of the Pu'u 'O'o crater floor. Soon thereafter, at 2:20 p.m., lava broke out at the base of the west flank of the Pu'u 'O'o cone.

According to Jim Kauahikaua, HVO's Scientist-in-Charge, the breakout points are 0.7 km (0.4 mi) east of the eastern end of the Kamaoamoa fissure that erupted earlier this year, in March 2011, or about half way between Pu'u 'O'o Crater and the eastern end of the Kamomoa fissure.

"Interestingly, as the crater floor deflated, lava in the perched lake within Pu'u 'O'o Crater continued to circulate, just as it had over the past several weeks," Kauahikaua noted, "but, by 3:15 p.m., the crater floor and lava lake began to collapse."

HVO scientists at the eruption site reported a branched lava flow moving down Kilauea's south flank. The weaker northwest arm was pushing into kipuka and forest, while the higher volume, larger south arm had advanced at least 3 km (1.8 mi) downslope as of 3:50 p.m. The lava flow is entirely within Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park and poses no hazard to residents at this time.
This webcam shows a fair amount of activity.

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hvo/cams/PWcam/

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb