Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omega 3 vs Omega 6
I was looking at some tilapia recipes and really didn't know anything about the fish, other than it is farmed a lot, so Googled it. You hear so much about the "good" fat in fish until I read the nutritional part of the article.

QUOTE from search @ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia:

Nutrition

Tilapia have very low levels of mercury[15] as they are fast-growing and short-lived with a primarily herbivorous diet, and thus do not accumulate mercury found in prey.[16] Tilapia is a low saturated fat, low calorie, low carbohydrate and low sodium protein source. It is a source of phosphorus, niacin, selenium, vitamin B12 and potassium.
Farm raised tilapia (the least expensive and most popular) has a high fat content, though low in saturated fats. According to research published in July 2008, the nutritional value of farm raised tilapia may be compromised by the amount of corn included in the feed. Short chain omega-6s in corn accumulate in the fish. "Ratios of long-chain omega-6 to long-chain omega-3, AA to EPA respectively, in tilapia averaged about 11:1, compared to much less than 1:1 (indicating more EPA than AA) in both salmon and trout." The ratio is worse than is found in beef. Widespread publicity encouraging people to eat more fish has seen tilapia being purchased by those with lower incomes who are trying to eat a well-balanced diet. The lower amounts of omega-3 and the higher ratios of omega-6 compounds in US farmed tilapia raise questions of the health benefits of consuming this fish.[17]
Adequate diets for salmon and other carnivorous fish can alternatively be formulated from protein sources such as soy, although soy-based diets may also change in the balance between omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids.[18]

I seems the people that play with nature can make anything unhealthy.

No hidden agenda here or trying to stir any controversy, just an interesting read and an eye opener.

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Good observation and information, Royall.
There are impacts from any kind of super intensive farming.
No matter the relative health benefits (or detriments) of Omega 6, it all goes out the window when you have Passionfruit Shortbread Cookies (PSC).

When your PSC levels are high, anything can happen.
Thanks for the info. Royall. Corn and junk carbs are not the natural diet of fish (nor chickens, nor cattle). I've heard of people raising worms (solder fly larva) for their tilapia. Anyone done this successfully?

Where can I get some PSC seeds?
SECRET KNOWLEDGE - "NOT FOR US TO KNOW"? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91qs9v-upWI