Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
loading ramp rental
We are getting down to the wire on our move. One thing that is still up in the air is locating a rental source for loading ramps to unload our containers in early October. I thought it had been discussed, but when I tried to search, I only got 1 non-germane result. I would appreciate any leads.

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
Aloha Allen: I just called Puna Rentals 966-5491 to see if they could help.
"Yes we have loading ramps". They are located in the Shipman Biz Park just N of the Pahoa bypass off HWY 11.
Give 'em a call to reserve yours for Oct. and best of luck for a smooth move...

-dwajs
-dwajs
That is where we rented ours when we unloaded our container. At the time the ones they had were pretty short relative to the height of the container, so we rented two and went end to end. Much easier and safer if its raining. Also fairly heavy so keep that in mind.

Congratulations on your upcoming move, Allen. Load lots of Tony Chachere's in that container, please. Which port is your container leaving out of, if I may ask?
Thanks for the lead David and the additional info freestate.

Kelena - Our containers (Horizon) and cars (Pasha) are leaving from New Orleans for the ships in Long Beach. I chose these carriers primarily based on the discussions on Punatalk. The other deciding factor was that Horizon was about $400 cheaper than Matson!

Another thing I found out that might help people shipping from inland locations: Horizon is presently charging a 45.5% 'bunker' (fuel surcharge) and they apply it to the total charge - which includes any truck and rail charges. I am buying a container in New Orleans and dealing directly with the trucking company to round trip it to Baton Rouge. Since Horizon is not charging me for trucking that container to Baton Rouge, their shipping quote for that container was quite a bit lower and no 45.5% surcharge on the trucking!

Allen
Baton Rouge, LA & HPP
Allen
Finally in HPP
New Orleans is often overlooked as a port. Years ago I was told it was the nations 3rd largest after New York and LA/Long Beach (my hometown!). I used to clean the insides of giant ships in the Port of New Orleans. Very scary, dangerous, dark, high-paying work in the holds of those ships. I was also a waiter at Arnaud's and Restaurant Johnathan.

But I never saw the good side of the city, til' I took a ride on the riverboat queen. That is to say. I also worked on the Mississippi Queen riverboat, which is now defunct, as a deckhand. One night one of my onboard paramours picked me up and held me over the side of the rail and joked about dropping me in the water. I dared him. He did. By the time I hit the water, I decided to take my life in a different direction -- if I lived.

I walked into the Loyola Law Library and the librarian hired me on the spot. One thing led to another.

Have a great trip and thank you for all the agricultural insights you have provided here. And remember come next Mawdi Graw: it only takes two to make a Krewe.

We dropped off our Toyota Tacoma pickup yesterday at Matsoon in Seattle. Our loaded up ABF Relocube was picked up today about noon.We are supposed to be out of our house on Friday in Puyallup, Wa. Then we stay at a hotel for about 9 days and fly into Hilo on Monday Sept. 5th.We are sleeping on the floor in our house we sold in Puyallup, as everything (almost anyway) is gone. Moving sales, runs to the dump, to Goodwill, etc, etc. Why nine days in a hotel? Well, when we bought our airline tickets the house was to close on a certain date. It had already been moved up a month by the buyer. Then they moved it up again by another week.
WE bought a furnished house, so the 6' wide by 7'deep, by 9' high Relocube actually was plenty big enough for us-even after loading abd strapping down my wifes 200cc scooter.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP
Jon, did you look into the cost of changing your tickets compared with 9 days in a hotel? You probably did, but it might not be too late to check if you didn't.
quote:
Originally posted by JerryCarr

Jon, did you look into the cost of changing your tickets compared with 9 days in a hotel? You probably did, but it might not be too late to check if you didn't.

Actually we have six people staying at our hose till Sept. 5th anyway. My daughter, her spouse Dave, their little one year old (our grand daughter!!), Dave's Mother and two contractors helping Dave on the house he's building. So-our place is fullup till the 5th anyway.

But thanks. If the place was empty I would have compared the prices.

Jon

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Jon in Keaau/HPP