Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HPP Video Surveillance Cameras
The HPP Neighborhood Watch has purchased video surveillance cameras which will be placed in locations with a history of illegal activities such as burglary, car break-ins, vandalism, and illegal dumping. Signs announcing this have been placed at the four main entrances of the subdivision. Some neighborhoods within HPP with video equipment will have signs indicating that status, while others will not. The plan is to add more cameras over time and shift those already in place as new situations and needs arise.
Maybe put a couple next to the mail boxes that were recently vandalized.
There's a poster on the set of mail boxes I use on Kaloli Drive that says Neighborhood Watch will soon be installing cameras there, so your wish may be granted, macuu222. I grew up in a place that now has so many CCTV cameras that a few years ago there was one for every 14 members of the population so have mixed feelings about this - especially as my own mail box was one of those broken into.

Incidentally, I know the advice is not to leave stuff in your mail box overnight or longer, but this has twice happened to me recently: I've left instructions with the Keeau Post Office that I want them to hold my mail until I return from a trip (using the form they gave me) only to find on my return that it was ignored and my mail box was full of mail that should have been held at the office.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Why are they announcing it? Seems like it'd be more effective if people DIDN'T know the cams were there.
Puna: Our roosters crow first
Why do so many homes have a sign out front saying "this property protected by video surveillance"? To let people know not to even think about it unless they want to get caught.
I assume Neighborhood Watch would rather prevent break-ins than have to deal with the aftermath (repairs, prosecution etc).
Smart move.
I get maccu222's point. Probably best to post a sign once a given site IS under surveillance, rather than saying "We're going to put a camera here pretty soon! You better watch out!".
Maybe it's a double bluff.

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
quote:
Originally posted by EightFingers

Why are they announcing it? Seems like it'd be more effective if people DIDN'T know the cams were there.

How would not announcing it be more effective? I would think that if a criminal knows they're being watched...they would be less likely to commit a crime in that area.
It's a deterrent not a sting operation!

Stop Whining! Vote with your money!
"Vote with your money!"
There are many legal issues with camera placement. I would certainly check with some one in the know - last thing you would want is a liability pay out because the guest was under the impression the cameras were protecting them and there was a lack of real time monitoring etc. I have been advised the camera surveillance issue can cut both ways.......