Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Threat of Axis Deer on the Big Island
(Letter printed in the Hawai'i Tribune Herald today)

Threat of axis deer

Recently, it seems that there has been a spate of news headlines about invasive species like snakes, horned lizards and flying squirrels. While I do want to prevent these exotic animals from making their homes here in Hawaii, I want to draw some attention to another animal that is already here in Hawaii and could pose a threat to our home here on the Big Island.

Axis deer have established populations on the islands of Lanai, Molokai and Maui. Most recently, a Maui reporter wrote an article in August, titled "D'oh! A Deer," that highlighted the devastating effects that axis deer have had on the people of Maui. With a voracious appetite, the deer are not picky when it comes to food.

From pineapple to sugar cane to vegetables in local gardens, the deer does not discriminate in its diet. Their foraging also creates problems for ranchers as the deer can wipe out large grassy fields that their herds use as grazing areas. Add to this the fact that the deer's feces can carry diseases that can be passed on to people, and it becomes clear that axis deer are a serious problem.

What would a population of axis deer mean for the Big Island? Coffee and macadamia nut farms have been long-standing industries for the Big Island, with our burgeoning Ka'u coffee industry beginning to receive international attention. The demand for ono local beef from our ranches in Ka'u, Waimea and other parts of the Big Island has grown as people heed the call to "eat local." Also, we have nurseries and beautiful anthurium farms. Imagine the ravaging effects a herd of axis deer could have on these industries.

As outlined in a Honolulu Star-Advertiser article on May 28 and based on the best evidence I have available to me, I believe that axis deer may be making their way to the Big Island. Knowing the negative impacts that will occur to the environment and our local industry, I am doing everything in my power to prevent this animal from establishing itself on the Big Island.

By working with the State Department of Agriculture, the State Department of Land and Natural Resources, the State Department of the Attorney General and the governor, I am hoping to nip this problem in the bud.

I am working with DLNR to change Hawaii Administrative Rule 13-124 to designate axis deer as an injurious species to ensure that its possession and potential transport between islands is regulated. This is meant as an interim step to limit any transport of axis deer to the Big Island until the upcoming 2012 legislative session, where I plan to introduce legislation meant to more permanently address this issue. I cannot stress how vital I believe this issue is to the health of our local economy and ecosystem. I will continue to push for awareness on this issue, knowing that with early action we can protect our home, the Big Island.

State Sen. Gil Kahele

District 2
Deer are easy. Snakes on a plane, or in a container......be afraid. My number one request is for a squadron of agricultural inspectors.
I have a bunch of boys in my classes who would be happy to eradicate every single deer on this island. Just put a fifty dollar bounty on them, tell people where they've been found, and I guarantee the hunters on this island would take of matters within a year. So far they are still in remote areas where hunting with guns would be safe, but these kids use bows too.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
The place where they're most certain to be is between South Point and Naalehu - lots of thick Christmas berry for them to hide in and multiply until there are too many. Don't forget that it's taken 40 years for the deer to become a serious problem on Maui - we need to get rid of them *now*, not when there are too many to eradicate.
I thought the only one deer on the big island was in the zoo! Am I wrong there??

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Thank you, Sen. Kahele!

I completely share your concern. Even urban areas are not safe from deer coming down and stripping the yards. I have experienced that in California living near deer habitat. I had friends who couldn't grow a single vegetable without a ten foot chain link fence topped with razor wire, because deer are such good jumpers.

This DLNR media release reports sighting in Kohala, Kona, Ka'u, and on Mauna Kea.
http://www.hawaii247.com/2011/05/27/conf...ig-island/
Deer breed like rabbits.
People who may not be alarmed at their arrival have probably never lived in an area where deer are thick.

If they aren't caught early, I expect the Punaweb Gardening forum will be all about deer fencing, deer repellant, plants deer don't eat ...

Try going to a nursery in deer country. There is a very small selection of plants offered that don't require deer-proof fencing.

Thank you Sen. Kahele, so glad you are prioritizing this.

Royall,
Somehow, axis deer got smuggled onto the Big Island, probably by some hunters who didn't want to fly off island to hunt deer. They have so far been spotted in several areas on the upper reaches of Mauna Loa on the south Kona side, maybe a few other remote places too.

The level of damage to AG crops deer are capable of is vast. I grew up in a region with both deer and highly effective predators, and deer still decimated crops, landscaping, and gardens. My dad finally ended up building a 10 foot fence with 2 strands of electric on top around our 2 acre garden, before he did my mom lost entire crops of certain foods to deer every year. Here we only have people for predators, so there is nothing to slow down the population growth if people don't become effective predators for these deer.

Carol
Carol

Every time you feel yourself getting pulled into other people's nonsense, repeat these words: Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Polish Proverb
Royall, there have been news reports & spottings of the deer on island. Link to one of the news reports from late spring:
http://www.kitv.com/news/28059980/detail.html

One of the biggest threats that the deer pose are to those critical habitat areas already fenced & with active eradication.... unfortunately the fencing on this island are not sufficient to exclude the deer, so all of that work and money could be destroyed, and we have lost our major resource for eradication work.... (oh for the days of the Kalani fencing/eradication team!)

As to offering bounties....The Hawaii DLNR Tech. Bul 07-01 Review Ungulate Control Methods & Approach states:
"Bounties have been found to be generally ineffective in animal management, and have actually resulted in increases in the target species in many cases"

Besides, the hunting of axis deer brings in license moneys & supports hunting clubs on the other islands.... although this is offered with a slight tongue in cheek as I have seen this work with the fishing stock collapse: the most effective total eradication would most likely be by offering deer tag/stamps on an exponential scale above the estimated population.... hunters with tags/stamps would most likely eradicate the entire population... add in aphrodisiac quality to the axis deer...and they will be GONE!

So Senator....
If the deer is already here, then the transport has already happened... (every time UH has had personnel in from NZAID, they cannot believe how pervious our shipping is.... for one of the conservation hotspots, we have done a horrible job of protection...)

What is your proposal for the critical habitats? upgrading the fencing would be a start.... but without our Kalani fencing crew...the cost is now so much more prohibitive... maybe we can use those Jr High hunters for fencing instead of bounty hunting....

csgray made a point about hunters being willing to eradicate the deer. It is important to point out that it was almost certainly hunters that brought the deer, and local hunters who have vocally denounced the effective only effective method of eradicating mouflon sheep, hiring outside professional hunters to shoot them from the air.

Hunters like to hunt. Don't make the mistake of thinking they are part of the solution unless it is for a policy of maintaining a population of deer. As it stands now that would be rewarding someone for breaking the law and visiting a plague upon the people of the Big Island.
In Hawaii's current employment environment Axis Deer hunting could hold very favorable possibilities for the B.I., especially with the extensive open acreage available for hunts. Perhaps that potential should be explored before rushing to eradication.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.