Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geothermal public input
Today's Tribune Herald has a front page story about an informational meeting on Geothermal. I notice that the meetings are in Waimea and Kona but the dates are missing. It may be a purposeful omission because the real impacts occur in Puna. I am not a NIMBY (Not in my backyard) but rather an AIMBY (Already in my backyard). This is a new Geothermal provider INNOVATIONS DEVELOPMENT and not PGV Puna Geothermal Venture (ORMAT) who has been taking the resource from Puna and transmitting the power to Hilo with not one KW distributed here in Puna. Meanwhile, residents living right next to the well and bearing the brunt of the inconvenience of noise, light, and air pollution are paying oil inflated electricity rates, some of the highest in the nation. Of course, I stand among those who wish to rid our dependency on fossil fuels but common sense needs to prevail. The people living closest to the resource should be provided the lowest electricity prices in the nation.
Agreed lyspo.
And why not a meeting in Puna????????????????
There already were meetings in Puna.
Assume the best and ask questions.

Punaweb moderator
Did the meetings get front page coverage in our East Hawaii newspaper? This series of meetings on the West side got my attention because of the front page coverage. Didn't hear about the Puna meetings and I don't usually have my head in the sand (although occasionally I get sand in my ears, if I'm lucky).
The forum at Pahoa Comm. Center was April 9th. IDG press release page:
http://idghawaii.com/?page_id=77
For years I lived next to the largest array of Hydroelectric plants in Northern California. Paid the same rates as those who didn't. That's the way it rolls.
The question is whether you support alternative sources of electrical generation or not. Creating them would require the least environmental impact possible is the requirement, in my book.
I personally believe that geothermal has the highest potential to put a dent in our use of oil. Distribution is the biggest challenge.
And, of course, educating the naysayers.

Dan