Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First snow of the winter?
For those interested the Mauna Kea Weather Center are forecasting snow at the summit this weekend, perhaps starting as early as Friday evening. You can catch their forecasts here:

http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/forecast/mko/

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
I guess that is why I felt so compelled to make a big pot chili tonight.... Winter is here!

Royall

Hale O Na Mea Pa`ani

Better get your snowblowers tuned up![}Smile]
Puna: Our roosters crow first
I saw Santa Claus at the bus stop yesterday in full beard. I guess his sleigh was not quite ready yet Smile
Winter is def. here in Denver at least yesterday so wishing I was back in the warm Aloha weather.
It's hotter than hell here in Cairns. Can't wait to get back to Puna!
I was up on the summit in mid May this year. Wow, what an experience that was. It was a life dream for me to see those telescopes. We got snowed on that day, it very well may have been sleet.

I grew up at altitude, I spent a lot of time hiking and camping up in the 10,000' + zone as a kid. I guess being on the islands at sea level for these last years has ruined me. We stopped to acclimatize at the ranger station ( approx 9,000') for 30-45 minutes. It helped but wasn't enough time. I was gasping for air up there at 13,796' - instant headache. We managed to hike up to the summit and snap some shots. It was cloudy and very windy, the sleet would sting your face.

After all was said and done and we made it back home, I realized how much I miss the cold - I never thought I'd say that having spent 30+ years in snow country, but I do. I'm looking forward to next trip up there.

If you get a chance to go up to the summit, jump on it! I only wish I could experience some of the scenes Tom has captured in photos by way of his work up there - very jealous.
Thank you, beejee, that's so kind of you! Unfortunately I visit the summit very rarely these days as we now operate the telescope remotely from Hilo due to our funds being cut. I miss the summit a lot and don't have those photo opportunities I once had. In any case, I'm really happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the summit and although snow in May is rare we had a very unusual weather pattern last spring/summer and got snow much later than usual.

I also miss cold weather - and easily identifiable seasons!

A team from NASA was out in June/July this summer to use an instrument of theirs on UKIRT so had the opportunity to spend a little time back at the summit again. It was great to be back! I took a couple of pictures while up there that some here may not have seen before - IRTF and clouds and a really spectacular sunset. Hope you like them and that they remind you of your trip to the summit!

Tom
http://apacificview.blogspot.com/
Thanks a lot Tom. I'll have you know those pictures cause me anxiety because they make me want to be there so bad, and right now I can't.

Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
Pua`a
S. FL
Big Islander to be.
@Tom - Those pictures are absolutely mind altering. Thanks for sharing your talent of capturing the moment.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein
Oh my, Tom, your photos are breathtaking! Surreal ... thank you for sharing!
I sure would like to see them collected in a book or as a gallery show.

I clicked to some others and I just love your Big Sur road trip. That photo looking down on Julia Pfeiffer is particularly special. I have stood in something like the same spot and taken numerous photos (last time was '94 or '95 and I was shooting film) -- but I never got a shot to look like that!

What kind of software do you use again?
My son bought a multiple user license of Topaz at the Mac expo in SF this winter, and I've played with it some and love it, but I remember you have a special way to get the sky and the ground in a balanced exposure, and I forgot what it is.

Back to the weather, YES -- last night and before were the first whiffs of air with a bit of snap to it. I love the winter here and I am so happy it's on its way.