Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Review of Hapuna State Park "cabins"
We just got home from 3 days staying at Hapuna State Park "cabins". They are referred to as shelters, not cabins on the state park website. I think that is because they are not all solid walls. For those of you who haven't been to the cabins I will describe them. There are 6 of them all spaced a good distance from each other so no noise is heard from the other sites. The cabins are half walls with metal A-frame roof and screened in upper walls. There is a table with benches and two sides of about 14 ft. twin bed width benches running along the sides of the cabin. We rented 2 cabins with one housing 4 adults and one housing 2 adults and 2 kids. The cabins have electricity and lights as well as plugs all working just fine.
You have to bring your bedding, towels, soap, utensils and cooking pots and pans and everything else, just like camping.
There are There are 2 bathrooms with 2 showers and toilets per building (showers divided between men and women). There is a large building with a common room that has lots of new picnic tables and at one end has a newly re-furbished kitchen area with counters and stove and oven and refridge.
The "cabins" and other buildings have all just been re-furbished and painted. They have new screens and roofs.
We had a few ants, but not fire ants. We think the ants were from some idiot leaving food in the cabin. The ants were not that bad, but they were around (not infested at all). No other bugs in cabins. There were cockroaches, centipedes, spiders or cockroaches around the cabins. We saw a few cockroaches outside the kitchen area, but again, just a few and NOT infested and they were just one or 2 nearby the shower area.
The cabins have their own keys and you are given keys to the bathrooms and the common building with kitchen. There was nobody but the folks staying there around. They have really improved the camp security and cleared out the bushes. The state park employee who stays there is a very nice guy and is keeping the place clean. There was no problem with food storage in the big common area. The 4 other cabins and ours just chose a shelf for each group and we all brought our coolers into the large room.
I can recommend the cabins right now as a good step up from tent camping. We had been forewarned that the cabins were real funky and mildewy and full of bugs. I can see how the cabins would have been awful before they were re-done. But right now they are a nice step up from camping.
The cabins are $30 night and you reserve them on-line. The reservation system was easy to use.

If you are thinking of going to the other side, for $30 per cabin a night and you are ok with a step up from camping where you bring your own bedding, etc. then I would suggest you go now, this year while all the screening and paint and everything is new and in great condition.
BTW, the grills at Hapuna are also new and we loved going there at night and cooking while the sun set. The beach really clears out and you have it to yourself. We took night beach walks and it was wonderful.
hawaiideborah
Mahalo HD for the report. Sounds like a good little trip you had. Hapuna is one of the best beaches on the island, imo...

-dwajs
-dwajs
Thanks so much for sharing this info! Got a good visual from it.

Carrie[Big Grin]
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Mahalo for the comprehensive review. I stopped by Hapuna Beach New Years Day and it was PACKED. Even the overflow parking lot was overflowing. Cars that couldn't find parking were lined up along the road. Its a beautiful beach, no wonder everyone wants to go there. We passed and went to Beach 69. Also crowded but not nearly as bad.
Thanks for the report. I stayed there in March and the screens on our cabin had some big holes in them, so it's good to hear they got repaired. It looked like they were getting ready to redo them at the time. Even so it wasn't a big deal since there aren't mosquitos around.
Thanks!!
Look forward to staying there very soon.
We tried to stay there two nights last March and it was closed for renovation. So, we slept on the beach one night and came home. Next night we had the tsunami.
Thanks for the review, really thorough, that's the kind of info I'd want to have if I were packing up to go there. [Smile]

Craig (lostboystoy) tried staying there before and said he was greeted as a hero for bringing a can of Raid, that the ants were beyond infested, and in general that it was a never again experience even for him (a country boy).

Nice to hear they've fixed it up!
Great report - thanks for posting. I was there Christmas day, and wondering how those cabins REALLY were! Sounds like good fun - at a good price!
Stayed there January 2009. Thoroughly enjoyed it. A few rats in the kitchen at night at the time - just keep food locked tight. Ants were the large kind - lots in our cabin. Nice to know that they are fewer and non-invasive.
Loved the walk to the beach...great get-a-way from Puna for a few nights w/family and friends. Who needs to fly off island when you can vacation 2.5 hrs away?
Aloha!

Aloha, Anna
http://sudnlyaware.wordpress.com
Glad to hear things are stepping up in that area. Also glad to hear you didn't have to deal with too many pests. You know it would be nice if people would clean up after themselves, s the next person doesn't have to. Glad to hear the screens got fixed to keep out the little varmints like flies, mosquitoes, knats and such.