Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
starting over and needing help
Last Saturday, New Years Eve, a dog broke into my chicken coop and killed 13 purebred hens. I live at the end of Palani St in Hawaiian Beaches. Am wondering if anyone saw a loose dog day that day and can describe it.

Most of my coop is field fencing but there was on 2' section of chicken wire that he was able to find and break through. The carnage was extensive and spread through out the yard as the hens tried to escape.

The hole was fixed yesterday, and am ready to rebuild my flock. If anyone has leads to pullets (young hens) for sale, please let me know.

Edit OK Am more devastated than I thought. Need your kind words of support.
I also want to publicly thank the good friends that helped with the clean up.
check out the farming and gardening section..Keith just moved to the mainland and was looking for someone to adopt his flock.
already tried - didn't work out, but thanks
So sorry to hear this.... I hope you find replacement hens soon. I just hate hearing about loose dogs and the damage they often cause folks..... I don't hate the dogs, I hate that they aren't contained where they are supposed to be (hence, the owners are responsible). Again, sorry for your loss.
Wherever you go, there you are.
Connie, did you have a description of the dog that did this?

Carrie

http://www.sapphiresoap.etsy.com

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
Carrie Rojo

"Even the smallest person can change the course of the future..." Galadriel LOTR
MY devastation was more than I spoke of in the original post. I was in desperate need of support. Didn't know now to ask for it. So a heart felt thanks to those that responded.

I have no info on the dog that did this, except that it had to be in a crazed state to have broken into the coop and killed every hen it got a hold of.

Good news: the sole surviving hen left a beautiful blue egg in the nesting box on Thursday. Nothing since, but it was so wonderous at the time....
My heart is with you Connie. Imagine waking up to 22 sheep with their throats ripped out ... lined up along the fence line.... blood everywhere. No sense, no reason... painful. WE cried, to say the least. I wish we had chickens or you. Unfortunately the same dogs have decimated our chicken stock as well. We have an incubator and have begun working on hatching.

I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"
I want to be the kind of woman that, when my feet
hit the floor each morning, the devil says

"Oh Crap, She's up!"